Open world Duels [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mandra Madador.1709

Mandra Madador.1709

Well sorry about not searching first.

Anyway, I see that this has been a really pressing issue for many players.
I hope it does get implemented.
Like someone had mentioned, yes there are costume brawls. This could suggest open world duels in the future.

I like some of the ideas that have been mentioned on this thread.

-Places you’d go to in the world that are meant for dueling, like open arenas.
OR
-Dueling only allowed outside of major cities.

-When duels begin, only the two opponents can see each other for the duel’s duration. Meanwhile, if there are any spectators on the side, they can watch the fight and not be intrusive to the fighters.

Its always good to add more fun to a video game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

^I like the idea of arenas to be honest. Especially if you allow players to enter the arena and sit on benches watching the duelists

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yocairo.4257

Yocairo.4257

Duels are a badly needed feature in gw2. I don’t understand why it wasn’t here at launch.

Duels are to test out skills and strategies, have some fun or prove your skills.
There’s no real way to “vote” against dueling since it would be standard to build in an option to ignore all duel requests.

Face it, a lot of people want this feature, and not just in some confined area in spvp. I want to be able to duel people outside of (major) cities.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Very few players go to the mists to fight 1v1. Map duels are a must. I often talk to people I meet about the builds/armor we use and there is no real way to compare the damage/resistance against one another. We should have the option for a “quicky”

in Suggestions

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

This is a x-post from another thread.

My thoughts on 1v1 duels. GW2 isn’t a game based on 1v1 skill as it currently stands. It is a very Rock, Paper, Scissors kind of game. Current;y that balance is far from perfect seeing as there are several specs that allow you to have almost no real weaknesses and the only spec that can defeat it 1v1 is a similarly OP build. Certain classes like mesmer have a massive advantage in single combat. Bunkers also have an edge because typically DPS builds can’t do enough damage due to protection or insane regen (looking at you rangers). 1v1 doesn’t prove much of anything, I’ll sometimes join a 1v1 server but it’s mostly just for a quick practice session but I always know that they prove next to nothing.

I don’t feel like ANet would ever bring a single combat aspect to a game so focused on teamplay.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

That post is all played out. If it’s a topic many people want, why shouldn’t he make his own post?

You just don’t like dueling. If the post was about a topic you wanted. You would make a reply supporting it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sub Sink.4362

Sub Sink.4362

OPEN WORLD PVP
yes like ‘WoW’ has

Even if it came down to opening up a couple new open world pvp servers with free transfers for awhile or whatever to populate it.

I think this was a huge part of the fun in WoW or well… once you got high enough level for revenge Ganking or taking down towns for kicks before leaving for work… made my mornings on more than one occasion.

GG

SKiN.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erewhon.2590

Erewhon.2590

OPEN WORLD PVP
yes like ‘WoW’ has

Even if it came down to opening up a couple new open world pvp servers with free transfers for awhile or whatever to populate it.

I think this was a huge part of the fun in WoW or well… once you got high enough level for revenge Ganking or taking down towns for kicks before leaving for work… made my mornings on more than one occasion.

GG

SKiN.

Open world PvP is supplemented with WvW in this game. Not a perfect solution, but still a workable one.

Open world duels however should have been in this game at launch.

in Suggestions

Posted by: klicken.4593

klicken.4593

If not duels will be implented then some people will quit just as much as people quit this game because there are no end game content. 2 easy to get good gear….. Or not? Well just implent raids healers and tanks and the game is fine //// Inspect option or gtfo?= Yes pretty much

in Suggestions

BurrTheKing.8571

If not duels will be implented then some people will quit just as much as people quit this game because there are no end game content. 2 easy to get good gear….. Or not? Well just implent raids healers and tanks and the game is fine //// Inspect option or gtfo?= Yes pretty much

This post was highly confusing to read. Duels are end game content? Like I said in my post classes in GW2 are not balanced to be equal in 1v1 engagements, they are balanced based on how they function in a team fight. Classes like Mesmer are stupidly strong in 1v1, I mean Moa Form is basically a “I win” button in that situation and being able to DPS while not even directly attacking is a HUGE advantage. This can be balanced out in teams by the fact that they have generally crap condition removal and if 2 people focus them with CC they drop fairly easy.

As for the best gear being too easy to obtain? That’s one of my favorite parts about both GW1 and 2. The game is about how good you are as a player, not “I played X hours more than you and you shall never win because I am 2 tiers higher than you Bwahaha.” Imagine how much WvW would suck if there was such a gear treadmill. As for End Game content, you must be blind. There’s many dungeons with a new one just being added. WvW is infinitely replayable and is also getting updates on a fairly frequent basis. Now, if you’re a S/TPvP player like I am you DO have something to be put out about, because there is only one game type and a buggy ladder system.

Healers and tanks? Already exist only they just aren’t dedicated. Guardians already serve as tanks and warriors can support them, but not in the same way as other MMOs, you’re expected to look after yourself and not be babysitted by a cleric. Gear inspect? Sure they could add that but honestly it’s nothing that important, in terms of priority that would be towards the bottom. In SPvP you can spectate and very gear and that’s the only place where I would really care about seeing gear.

Sounds to me like you want this game to become a generic WoW clone with dodging. If that’s the case then go play one of those because GW2’s goal was to NOT be that kind of game, which comes with its own issues but I for one find it much more enjoyable than spending months grinding for gear.

Just an angry old man…

(edited by BurrTheKing.8571)

in Suggestions

Mandra Madador.1709

Its very exciting to see more people wanting this.

I mean, I’m sure ANet had open world duels in mind but I wonder why they didn’t add it?
I’d love to see ANet reply to this topic and give their input as to what the possibilities are.

Keep it mature and keep asking! Good Luck!

in Suggestions

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Wait – a second thread, filled with almost exactly the same people as the first one, asking for the same thing?

Again guys – no. There’s a reason this ISN’T WoW. People are here because we don’t want the griefer-fest and “duel me bruh” spam from the other game.

I’d support giving you an arena near each major town – see no problem with that.

I do see a problem with having people whacking away at each other and doing it in a place that will break DEs. I have an issue with the “DUEL ME BRUH? YOU SCARED BRUH?” that the other game was FLOODED with.

The thread that you guys aren’t using was loaded with people who admitted they’d use it for nothing but griefing. This says something strong about the mentality of the folks asking for the “feature”.

There’s already informal dueling grounds in most of the wvwvw areas – but use them at your own risk. The rest of us have figured out that the duelists are sources of free badges/bags.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Belias.2147

Belias.2147

It should look like: Two players start duel when hp goes to 0, duel ends. Without downed mode. Game just should inform us who win. :-)

in Suggestions

Mandra Madador.1709

This post was highly confusing to read. Duels are end game content? Like I said in my post classes in GW2 are not balanced to be equal in 1v1 engagements, they are balanced based on how they function in a team fight. Classes like Mesmer are stupidly strong in 1v1, I mean Moa Form is basically a “I win” button in that situation and being able to DPS while not even directly attacking is a HUGE advantage. This can be balanced out in teams by the fact that they have generally crap condition removal and if 2 people focus them with CC they drop fairly easy.

As for the best gear being too easy to obtain? That’s one of my favorite parts about both GW1 and 2. The game is about how good you are as a player, not “I played X hours more than you and you shall never win because I am 2 tiers higher than you Bwahaha.” Imagine how much WvW would suck if there was such a gear treadmill. As for End Game content, you must be blind. There’s many dungeons with a new one just being added. WvW is infinitely replayable and is also getting updates on a fairly frequent basis. Now, if you’re a S/TPvP player like I am you DO have something to be put out about, because there is only one game type and a buggy ladder system.

Healers and tanks? Already exist only they just aren’t dedicated. Guardians already serve as tanks and warriors can support them, but not in the same way as other MMOs, you’re expected to look after yourself and not be babysitted by a cleric. Gear inspect? Sure they could add that but honestly it’s nothing that important, in terms of priority that would be towards the bottom. In SPvP you can spectate and very gear and that’s the only place where I would really care about seeing gear.

Sounds to me like you want this game to become a generic WoW clone with dodging. If that’s the case then go play one of those because GW2’s goal was to NOT be that kind of game, which comes with its own issues but I for one find it much more enjoyable than spending months grinding for gear.

Burr you bring up interesting points about class differences but I think the idea for open world dueling is much broader and a lot simpler.

You see, 1v1 happens in WvW rarely,1v1 happens in sPVP as well.

Dueling, It’s not about how to use balanced classes in a team its about fighting people one on one with what you have built. It will bring that group of players together. In fact, dueling will create so many more interesting ideas in fights; It will broaden horizons.

I think, personally, that I am a good thief, and I play a very unconventional build. Its entirely created around the way I like to fight. When I’m wanted in a team/group I fight the best way I can with what I have, but I don’t change to the standard team setup.

See, dueling is about discovery and finding new challenges with new opponents.

It’s not about bragging or showing off KD ratios.

Its about honor and respect to the art of fighting, especially with such an interesting combat mechanic. The possibilities are exciting and they can be opened up more if this is implemented.

Its very underground at the moment.

You have to go out of the way to find people who are passionate about dueling.

This shouldn’t be so disconnected.

in Suggestions

BurrTheKing.8571

So basically, you’re a Hipster Dueling Thief that’s from the underground…dawg?

I see your point, but I don’t think ANet will ever add it because it doesn’t fit with their vision, if they do cave in then more power to you, but consider what happens if they do add it.

You beat someone in PvP/WvW. Next thing you know you’re spammed with “Noob u sux, 1v1 me bro!” “U so bad u girl if you no duel.”

Having systems like this encourage that kind of idiocy so it goes from a cool feature to a massive annoyance. Even with the ability to block requests you’ll still have to put up with people taunting you if you don’t accept. I’ve seen so many MMOs with this problem and personally I’d rather not deal with it. ATM there are a few dueling PvP servers and while they aren’t perfect at least the option is there.

I would be “OK” with a dueling PvP mode, but as for Open World dueling, no thanks.

Just an angry old man…

(edited by BurrTheKing.8571)

in Suggestions

Mandra Madador.1709

So basically, you’re a Hipster Dueling Thief that’s from the underground…dawg?

I see your point, but I don’t think ANet will ever add it because it doesn’t fit with their vision, if they do cave in then more power to you, but consider what happens if they do add it.

You beat someone in PvP/WvW. Next thing you know you’re spammed with “Noob u sux, 1v1 me bro!” “U so bad u girl if you no duel.”

Having systems like this encourage that kind of idiocy so it goes from a cool feature to a massive annoyance. Even with the ability to block requests you’ll still have to put up with people taunting you if you don’t accept. I’ve seen so many MMOs with this problem and personally I’d rather not deal with it. ATM there are a few dueling PvP servers and while they aren’t perfect at least the option is there.

I would be “OK” with a dueling PvP mode, but as for Open World dueling, no thanks.

Thanks Burr, happy you understood what I was talking about.
I know the problem you talk about, but I don’t see it as a problem for the simple matter that an adult could just ignore and not pay attention to those type of players. I mean I do consider my self an adult playing a video game. So to give in to that crowd (which btw already exists as you state it) is just nonsense. You still have those types acting up anyway about other things, and all people do is ignore them.

As far as the hipster underground thing…no, I don’t even understand what that means.
I just want to express my idea like you are and so many others are doing as well.

in Suggestions

BurrTheKing.8571

The hipster thing was sarcasm.

As for simply ignoring them, that’s fine, however I feel ANet wants to avoid any form of non-cooperative interactions between players. Even in PvP they place heavy emphasis on teamwork rather than the individual player. It was the same thing in GW1, every form of PvP was team based. Let’s face it, GW has always tried to do almost everything as DIFFERENTLY as possible from other MMOs (Of course some people didn’t consider GW1 a MMO but w/e)

Just an angry old man…

in Suggestions

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

short answer, no.
long answer, HELL NO.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yocairo.4257

Yocairo.4257

What’s up with the uneducated arguments?
Duels are simply part of the larger mmo market these days, wow did not invent this, it’s nothing new.
People simply want to be able to /duel because going to an arena and the like is simply too much effort. You quickly need to test if something or spec is working properly, sure duel your mate.

For the harassment argument I can’t say much but sigh..
It’s not hard to build a decline all duel option. For people whining for 1v1s there is already an ignore button in game, try it out!

The fact duels aren’t already implemented is quite shocking really.

in Suggestions

JubeiTM.5763

It is plain stupid to oppose an idea just because WoW has it. Wow is not the first mmo to have mounts, map duels, dungeons, etc. Blizzard took elements from older mmo’s and adapted them to the Warcraft Universe.

in Suggestions

Posted by: negerleif.2106

negerleif.2106

What’s up with the uneducated arguments?
Duels are simply part of the larger mmo market these days, wow did not invent this, it’s nothing new.
People simply want to be able to /duel because going to an arena and the like is simply too much effort. You quickly need to test if something or spec is working properly, sure duel your mate.

For the harassment argument I can’t say much but sigh..
It’s not hard to build a decline all duel option. For people whining for 1v1s there is already an ignore button in game, try it out!

The fact duels aren’t already implemented is quite shocking really.

agreed! now we wait for some genius to come say “you can duel in sPvP”……

in Suggestions

Posted by: skeppi.4856

skeppi.4856

I’d love to have dueling! I really miss that feature from other mmo’s being able to duel a friend/guildmates etc.

The Balance [TB]
80 Engi / 2×80 Ranger / 80 War / 2×80 Mesmer / 80 Necro / 80 Thief / 80 Ele / 80 Guard

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

duels ruin PvE, plain and simple.
why you ask, it’s suppose to be a world where everyone works together to stop the evil in the world, not to kill your fellow man because (s)he looks weird at you.
further more, duel invites are the top of annoyance, if there is one thing that ruins the true PvE experience then it’s duel invites.

oh and in case you’re wondering, it’s player verses environment, not player verses player.
if you want to play PvP, go to the PvP places but stop ruining PvE for ppl like me who like to enjoy a PvP-less game.

in Suggestions

Mandra Madador.1709

You know, now that I look at it, this thread is 9 pages and growing of people saying yes and no to open world dueling. Its clear that many want it, and many don’t.
Not one reply from Anet.
Actually I don’t think we are entitled to an answer.

To be honest, speaking for my self, there are so many interesting and far more superior and funner games right around the corner. Hell, I’m part of their alphas and betas as we speak.

Personally I was picturing guild wars 2 with more interesting mechanics, one of them being open world dueling. So I posted here along with many others.

Whether or not gw2 has dueling in the future, I just want to express my opinion about this game honestly and then just stop coming to these forums again.

This game was amazing at the alpha stage because the community in the alpha was more adult and creative with the game mechanics.
On release and shortly before release, Anet changed small but interesting elements of the game which led me to believe they’d rather cater to a crowd that wants it easier as opposed to challenging.

There are many things they have yet to add on but that doesn’t leave me in anticipation to think that these things will be new and exciting or challenging. I think currently and how the content has been progressing, the game feels flat and repetitive. I think this is because majority of players would rather not be challenged and maybe forced to think a little on their own.
Take the events around the world for example. You don’t even have to look for them, they appear on your map. Not only that but players have it down on a loop routine. They call out the next events and at what time; rinse and repeat.
Another example, jumping puzzles! I thought it would be far more interesting if you DISCOVERED the jumping puzzles as opposed to looking at your achievement list and finding out what you need.

There is no difference between WoW and guildwars 2 aside from a subscription fee. In WoW you do quests and dailies and other bs. In Guildwars2 you do renown hearts, story line and dynamic event bs. In both of these games the actions are the same. What you do on an hourly or day to day basis is EXACTLY the same. Instead of a “!” over their heads its a heart, wow…what an innovative game.
Arena Net created an mmo experience that you could wear any piece of gear for you class, play any way you want with your build that YOU come up with. You can be unique and you don’t have to worry about having to have the right stats or the right build for a dungeon or a group or pvp. Because in gw2 the new thing is that, if you can play what you have, well you’ll be more than likely be able to adapt to any scenario. Instead though, what I have seen over the past couple of months since release is players treating this game LIKE World of Warcraft. Players ask for each others’ gear stats and builds before they enter a dungeon, as if those things make a big difference.

Listen, my point is that I want to point out that majority of you don’t like change or a challenge. You claim you’d hate dueling because of negativity, well most of the player base is pretty grumpy imo.
The fact that Anet has designed mechanics for people helping each other and being nice to each other implies that before this, people were not helpful or nice. When people started playing this game they didn’t go “oh I’m a nice guy, this game has people do nice things…I’m in!” no.
These mechanics are created for the rude and selfish to open up and be rewarded for being nice to others. That’s the only way you can get these types of communities to help each other, its to reward them.
They wont do it honestly because they wanted to.

It took two planes to crash in to the twin towers for people to help each other and care for one another as good Americans.

Anyway….. duels or no duels, Its a great time for life! great films are coming out, great games are in the making. Great minds are working on new and exciting things in general, and all of this is wasted on a dumb generation.

in Suggestions

Posted by: skeppi.4856

skeppi.4856

why you ask, it’s suppose to be a world where everyone works together to stop the evil in the world, not to kill your fellow man because (s)he looks weird at you.
further more, duel invites are the top of annoyance, if there is one thing that ruins the true PvE experience then it’s duel invites.

oh and in case you’re wondering, it’s player verses environment, not player verses player.
if you want to play PvP, go to the PvP places but stop ruining PvE for ppl like me who like to enjoy a PvP-less game.

tr0110l0l

The Balance [TB]
80 Engi / 2×80 Ranger / 80 War / 2×80 Mesmer / 80 Necro / 80 Thief / 80 Ele / 80 Guard

in Suggestions

stale.9785

My concern is more about the trolling that inevitably comes with open world PvP, and the likelyhood that these freaks will be breaking DE’s by choosing stupid places to duel in.

If they made it so that duelists were completely invisible to people who select “Reject all duel requests” and that once in duel mode they lost all ability to collect aggro or affect the PvE world, that’d be groovy – but then they’d be just as well off grabbing a PvP arena and dueling there.

There’s also the simple fact that the thread before this one, where they got merged, was full of people who stated explicitly they wanted the duel option to troll people. All on it’s own, that says what you need to know about the folks asking for dueling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Black citadel already has a fighting pit they could use for dueling. I’m not a huge fan of dueling but if so many people want it give them the option somewhere out of the way.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

Black citadel already has a fighting pit they could use for dueling. I’m not a huge fan of dueling but if so many people want it give them the option somewhere out of the way.

duels in arenas is not something i mind ether, it’s not bothering PvE in the slightest and it keeps duels in check.
i am not against dueling completely, i am against dueling in the open world, it ruins so much that it would be really stupid to add duels in an open world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sub Sink.4362

Sub Sink.4362

Hehe, no grinding in GW2 at all. Unless you want anything nice. Grind months for gold to purchase T3 Gear\Skins, Grind 6 months to a year for a (no stat bonus) legendary skin, or pay real money for in game items.

When you get to 80… you grind and grind and grind. You have no choice. If you want to play you are forced to either repeat content over and over again OR roll a new toon and repeat all content to get to 80 and repeat and grind on a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc… toon for the gear you suggest you don’t have to grind for

Grinding is grinding… well all do it… we are all essentially forced to do it… or we can stop playing. I still play… I still enjoy it… but… it is still a lot of “grinding”.

Confusing is you thinking that you don’t have to grind… though… so was Anet’s advertising and promoting as the days of grinding are over.

SKiN.

(edited by Sub Sink.4362)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

It really blew my mind when I first realized I wasn’t just unable to find where the duel button was hidden… but that there WAS no duel button. WoW (IMO, a worse game though not for lack of duels) even had them back in the old school days.

I’m all for adding in a duel option.

I’m also all for adding in an “auto-deny duels” checkbox for those who want nothing to do with duels.

Seems win/win, right?

in Suggestions

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Cross posted from the sPvP forum. I wasn’t sure where to post it…

So I’m waiting for Tequatl or the Shatterer to show up along with a lot of other people. Wouldn’t it be a nice idea to give us something to do in the meantime? Being able to just challenge someone in the open world would be pretty kitten cool especially when you’re not doing anything but just sitting around no?
How bout…whenever a large enough group of people accumulate in one area, some interesting event occurs? Like say there’s a demon queen feeding on life force of warriors and the presence of so many causes her to appear. Imagine fighting her and Tequatl at the same time!
Just thoughts since I just get bored otherwise. Dueling would be pretty sweet.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Open-World-Dueling-to-Kill-Time/first#post2154818

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brewergamer.8357

Brewergamer.8357

Duelign in specified areas of the towns would not only increase populations in towns, but keep the chaos and spamming away from people trying to conduct commerce. Each town could have it’s own area:
Black Citadel- Arena Pit, I mean, c’mon….
Grove- Pick a spot on the bottom floor, it’s pretty open and not much to do down there, most of the commerce is on the 2nd (sub) floor plus you have water you could incoorporate
Holebrak- the Great Lodge, right around that big-kitten tooth
Rata Sum- This one might be tricky due to limited space, might have to either do it in one of the labs on the ground outside the city or council chambers up top.
Divinity’s Reach- This clusterkitten of a city…welll…idk I hate the place myself, maybe someone else can think of a good spot in it to do it. Maybe around that gigantic automated orchestra
Lion’s Arch- The little red arena that we all know is a kickback to the Anet symbol (down on the beach behind the fort), would make for an interesting, close quarters combat arena and require some pretty intense tactics.

Indeed it would be nice to actually utilize those little arenas they put in the game, instead of just having them solely for decoration.

in Suggestions

Brewergamer.8357

Cross posted from the sPvP forum. I wasn’t sure where to post it…

So I’m waiting for Tequatl or the Shatterer to show up along with a lot of other people. Wouldn’t it be a nice idea to give us something to do in the meantime? Being able to just challenge someone in the open world would be pretty kitten cool especially when you’re not doing anything but just sitting around no?
How bout…whenever a large enough group of people accumulate in one area, some interesting event occurs? Like say there’s a demon queen feeding on life force of warriors and the presence of so many causes her to appear. Imagine fighting her and Tequatl at the same time!
Just thoughts since I just get bored otherwise. Dueling would be pretty sweet.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Open-World-Dueling-to-Kill-Time/first#post2154818

You know I am sorry to mention this but.. Back in the day on Runescape they used to have these things called “random events” that would happen to specific players doing specific things, at any rare random given time. So if you are bored running around DR, something like an asura could appear and ask you a riddle question, if you answer it correctly you gain some kind of little reward. I think a “random event” system would be cool in guild wars 2, and break alot of the boredom that exists today. (any time I log on, I simply log on to chat with people for about 5 minutes before logging off again, if I could duel or if random events happened even in main cities, this would make things alot more exciting for alot of us.)

in Suggestions

Posted by: peacemaker.5634

peacemaker.5634

I keep hoping if we blow up the forums with requests for dueling, they’ll implement it. 2 things this game NEEDS, is dueling and Guild vs. Guild, especially something similar to what Runes of Magic has with Siege War. That would be amazing in the hands of ArenaNet.

Jonathade [Gate of Madness]

in Suggestions

peacemaker.5634

DUELING, ADD, YES, PLZ. They gave us costume brawl, but no duels!? Madness. Most people want duels. There’s no reason it shouldn’t be added to the game on account of the few people that are bothered far too easily.

in Suggestions

Brewergamer.8357

DUELING, ADD, YES, PLZ. They gave us costume brawl, but no duels!? Madness. Most people want duels. There’s no reason it shouldn’t be added to the game on account of the few people that are bothered far too easily.

Indeed but people that are afraid of dueling ingame could not possibly complain about designated dueling areas. It’s a win-win, we want it and the complainers can’t complain about designated areas because all they have to do is stay away from those areas if they can’t handle it.

in Suggestions

Brewergamer.8357

Umm.. can that moderator that merged my thread please unmerge it? I was suggesting DESIGNATED AREAS FOR DUELING NOT open world dueling. They are 2 entirely different things, I DO NOT support open world dueling, I was suggesting DESIGNATED AREAS DUELING. Thank you.

in Suggestions

peacemaker.5634

Designated Area dueling almost defeats the purpose. People costume brawl all over the place and I haven’t heard a complaint about that. I want to be able to duel wherever I happen to be with my friends/party/guild. It’s the best time killer and great practice. If anything, restrict it from certain areas, but it really needs to be implemented and needs to be allowed almost everywhere.

in Suggestions

JubeiTM.5763

Indeed but people that are afraid of dueling ingame could not possibly complain about designated dueling areas. It’s a win-win, we want it and the complainers can’t complain about designated areas because all they have to do is stay away from those areas if they can’t handle it.

There can be arenas near every major city. With flat ground and different shapes (round, hexagonal, square like a classic Box ring, etc)

in Suggestions

Posted by: negerleif.2106

negerleif.2106

okey ive been following this for a long time now. and a funny fact is that! the players saying no to this on the tread isnt that many. its the same players that keep on posting that they dont want duels in the game! its between 5 and 10 players saying no over and over again…. and, its about 100 saying yes. I can even name the guys that keep saying no but i wont becouse if i do this comment might be removed. maybe, i dont know. but! why havent we heard anything official about this??? its kind of a big deal in an MMO to have duels. I want duels my guild want duels most of the people i chat with in Lions Arch want duels. i can honestly say i have never seen anyone in game saying “duels would ruin this game” or something like it. and alot of times when i go to a well populated place there are people casting spells at each other, like a duel! but thats all we can do now just run and pretend that we are having a duel… im getting out of control here so im ending this post! PLEASE GIVE US AN AWNSER ABOUT THIS BECOUSE PEOPLE IS STARTING TO FEEL IGNORED!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

I cant belive arena net is ignoring this for 8 months i mean how simple is to put duels in game this is shame for such a huge company

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

arena’s=yes
open world=no
reason=lowers the spam by 95%

in Suggestions

Belias.2147

Gele, they ignore us becouse they take our money at the begining, and now they simply dont care what we as a players want from game and from tehm…

in Suggestions

JubeiTM.5763

Gele, they ignore us becouse they take our money at the begining, and now they simply dont care what we as a players want from game and from tehm…

I hope this is not true. Unfortunately some my friends already seen the forum and the endless bug / lack of content complaining and they won’t rush to buy the game. I’m sure some people are waiting to see what an expansion brings before buying the game. Because a nicely worked expansion is the best proof that things continue to improve.

in Suggestions

Belias.2147

Agree in 100% with you

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

One could argue that Open World Dueling would actually bolster or improve the feeling of a dynamic living world. I see several people trying to explain the disadvantages or negitive experiences that impliminting Open World Dueling would create but i must dissagree.

The concept that dueling would “ruin” this illusion is at the very least void if not just wrong. Granted this may seem opinionated but take a moment to rationalize, By simply not allowing dueling in “Sophisticated” town locations it would practically cure all the potential panic that mass dueling could bring. Absolutely seeing two giant Norns dressed in Santa Clause outfits going to town on each other in the middle of June would easily ruin the visage of a vibrant realistic world. But once again, how many times do you see Bright pink heavily armored Charrs with a name similar to something you would eat for breakfast. Adversly, Open World Dueling would nuture this concept if you saw.. lets say two drunken warriors dukeing it out in a bar, or a Thief tryig to Mug an unsuspecting citizen in a shadowy alley. Weither you RP or not is irrelevant, Walking into a town or a cave ect to witness a epic battle between a crazed Necromancer and a valiant Guardian would simply be neat (Opinion). That being said it is impossible to balance a world of opinions, but having Open World Dueling would provide more benefits than disadvantages for a large, if not a majority of the player base.

Yes, there will be grief with dueling. There is grief in Hot Join PvP, there is grief in tPvP, there is grief in WvW and you guessed it, there is grief in PvE. There is even grief on your way to work or when your batteries run out in your remote, but those are less relevant. The fact is, the argument that Dueling will bring grief is correct and I admit it would probibly spike after its launch and ialthough i personally just snicker to myself and tab out of a channel when i am “grief’ed” I could never expect the entire community to take this approach. But… Once again, (opinion) There are much more pros than cons Even with from a grief fearing non competitive player. Example: You could kill time with guildies, create community based events, get a casual introduction to structure PvP, have innovative Role-playing, and I suppose you could use duels to test out your individual skills as a player against other players.. But that’s probibly a dumb idea.

My Point:Like I had said earlier most of the problems that would come from the introduction of Open World Dueling are easily remedied (not necessarily from a design perspective). Having large areas that prevent dueling, A option to automatically decline Dueling invitations, Perhaps even an option to make people who initiate a duel become invisible until the duel has been completed/interrupted all these are very understandable and reasonable changes to incorporate a “Less Grief” Open World Dueling enviroment. If nothing else a lot of people think it would be fun, what’s a better reason than that?

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

i already designed a system for duels and against duel griefing, arena teleporting.
you ask someone to duel when they have it switched on, the other one agrees and they are teleported in to an arena.
when they are done they are teleported at the exact place they were, just like when you go to the HoM.
-it removes spammers
-it makes duels fair
-duels don’t ruin PvE
oh and one more thing, the part where duels are on, that’s switched off on default to stop the newbie griefers.

in Suggestions

stale.9785

i already designed a system for duels and against duel griefing, arena teleporting.
you ask someone to duel when they have it switched on, the other one agrees and they are teleported in to an arena.
when they are done they are teleported at the exact place they were, just like when you go to the HoM.
-it removes spammers
-it makes duels fair
-duels don’t ruin PvE
oh and one more thing, the part where duels are on, that’s switched off on default to stop the newbie griefers.

This is the first actually workable idea that won’t ruin it for everyone else. Now, if we can have perma bans on the (inevitable) “duel me brah” spam that will come with duels…. yeah.

Or, you know, put in the arena/coliseum that other threads have asked for, and spare the bulk of the playerbase from the fighting kiddies.

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

frankly i am surprised ppl still dare to ask for duels, Anet has 3 kinds of PvP and it’s still not enough.
sPvP, WvWvW and cPvP, all PvE has is just that, PvE.