Game Updates: Guild World Events, Megaservers, WvW

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lyssan.3768

Lyssan.3768

I am not sure if someone else has already brought this up or not, and I realize that it will most likely be something that is dealt with later on when they actually are able to “combine” all servers in regards to guild membership, but an issue I am wondering about, specifically because my guild has this, what about items like the guild storage unlocks on the multiple servers?

I am currently involved with 2 guilds, and both of them have storage already unlocked on 2 servers, some have more storage levels unlocked than others. I am (99%) sure that Anet has something in mind in regards to the guild influence points spent for multiple unlocks and refunding them, but what about the extra storage that would be lost in this case? I also set up a personal guild to get extra “guild” storage, and this also happens to span a couple of servers (as I have multiple accounts home based on different servers) and I happen to like having the extra storage that having separate storage on 2 servers allows. Are they going to double the actual storage that is there now when they combine them? And if not, what is going to happen to the items that are in the second server’s storage if combining both would overfill the current storage capacity?

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I can’t find the option to turn off not seeing other languages in chat. I looked in general options and chat options.

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

I can’t find the option to turn off not seeing other languages in chat. I looked in general options and chat options.

It’s in the chat area itself at the gear icon. Boy ArenaNet’s options are so user-friendly. NOT.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

(I don’t feel like listening to a bunch of 16 year old boys scream about their genitals)

This is the reason I left EQ2 and came to GW2 4 months ago, now it’s an epidemic of adolescent spammers at every WB. There’s nothing that can be done about it except strict moderation and prompt response to player report.

In the scheme of things i think from a business perspective it’s less costly to lose some offended players than it is to devote manpower towards enforcement and then ultimately lose the banned players who commit the act.

But i would like to see an Anet representative to go spend a while in vigil keep and witness the lengths that some of these trolls go to in order to disrupt other players, even to the extent of only using emotes. Is this the game you had envisioned when you decided that megaservers was the best trend to follow?

You would be surprized to find out 90%+ of those as you say “16 year old boys” are actually probably in their late 20s and 30s, so goes the way of todays society.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

What the hell is this solution?

You prefer that I don’t see people talking in some languages rather than tune your algorithm to allow me to play with more people sharing my language?

ArenaNet, have you really thought this through? Really?

What we want is to be able to play with people! More people sharing the same language.

When I switch language in my interface, it’s to change the language of the interface, not the language of my communication with others!

You have about zero clues regarding what your customers want. All you see is your money going to waste with too many servers and can’t think of what is good for your customers!

Where did I really chose a language for my community? Where? When I selected a server! Not when I selected a language for my interface!

You’re doing it wrong. Completely wrong.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

(edited by Fror.2163)

Isaac.6041

You prefer that I don’t see people talking in some languages rather than tune your algorithm to allow me to play with more people sharing my language?

What we want is to be able to play with people! More people sharing the same language.

When I switch language in my interface, it’s to change the language of the interface, not the language of my communication with others!

You have about zero clues regarding what your customers want. All you see is your money going to waste with too many servers and can’t think of what is good for your customers!

Exactly. Turning this option on by default doesn’t solve any problems. It creates problems because now you have a whole bunch of hidden messages that could have been actually written in English or whatever language you understand.

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

I will only say this once:
The megaserver idea looked good on paper (like the FoTM leaderboards)- in reality it is a failure breaking up server communities, guilds and a cause of immense frustration for many players (lag, zergs, fixed timer schedules, guild missions).

The failure to split EU communities by there home server (esp language based ones)- shows the lack of US understanding on different societies work. Europe is a very complex hub of many languages, cultures, histories and styles.
It is not like a state based US system where everyone just “gets on together”.
The auto blocking of other languages is not helpful – now everyone who is on a US server will be completely clueless and unable to communicate between our Chinese friends and English speaking friends.

The sooner this concept (of megaserver) in it’s current form is rolled back the better.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Isaac.6041

I will only say this once:
The megaserver idea looked good on paper (like the FoTM leaderboards)- in reality it is a failure breaking up server communities, guilds and a cause of immense frustration for many players (lag, zergs, fixed timer schedules, guild missions).

The failure to split EU communities by there home server (esp language based ones)- shows the lack of US understanding on different societies work. Europe is a very complex hub of many languages, cultures, histories and styles.
It is not like a state based US system where everyone just “gets on together”.
The auto blocking of other languages is not helpful – now everyone who is on a US server will be completely clueless and unable to communicate between our Chinese friends and English speaking friends.

The sooner this concept (of megaserver) in it’s current form is rolled back the better.

No I don’t believe Chinese is affected. This language change only affects French, German, and Spanish.

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

Europe players will be glad today. Their language issue was fixed.

Added a chat option – enabled by default – that shows only the messages coming from players sharing your client’s text language.

So that’s what the earlier patch was! * Starts the happy dance *
Want my thoughts on the band aid? Simple :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGlQvPBQE0

Hat’s off to you, A-net! Instead of fixing things, you decided to BLOCK the chat according to the client’s language??? That explains why the guy next to me started throwing grenades on my feet for ignoring him while doing a heart. * FACEPALM * Amazing… Simply amazing… I thought you guys were pros, not a bunch of kids playing MMO developing…..

The <@#$!?> Skynet is OBVIOUSLY NOT working, why did you rushed it into the game?

I’m mind blown right now, i can’t stop laughing…

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

Unfortunately this just makes matters worse. I am currently playing on a German server, but I set my client language to English, since I don’t want a translator between the author and me as a further indirection. I do the same for books and movies whenever possible. This is not an isolated case, but many people do the same. Another problem is that the people with a different client language are still on the map, you just can’t communicate with them. Therefore, client language is a terrible means to filter the chat.

Other options would be:

• Filter the chat by home world: This is better, since you select the language you want to read in chat when selecting a world. But it still does not enable you to see English and German messages, for example, and the other people are still there – even though they are invisible.
  • Filter the chat by preference: What I mean by that is that you can somewhere set to see messages from German worlds and international worlds (checkboxes). This is already way more customizable, but again the other people are still on the same map.
  • Only put people on the same map if their home worlds match: This means that you only merge German worlds to create one (or however many are needed) megaserver and only merge English/international worlds to create another. This solves the aforementioned problem that other people are still on the same map, but invisible. A downside is, however, that the maps might get emptier and that you could need more versions of a map again.

Personally I would prefer the latter solution.

Edit: Oh, and please disable the megaserver system in towns. Worlds should still have some central hubs where people can gather, talk or roleplay.

(edited by Ignavia.7420)

Asacledhae.2650

Better yet, turn off Skynet and let us stay in our own home worlds!

It’s good to see more people around, but NOT kitten Zerg, and especially…… never mind, today’s patch has literally blown me away.. I feel like gotten whacked by a broom on the head…

(edited by Asacledhae.2650)

Posted by: Zone.1275

Zone.1275

I like how people assume Anet isn’t trying to work on fixing the sorting hat servers because they added a new chat option that was added because people were being rude to each other for speaking other languages. In fact, the patch notes even bring up reporting and blocking people because of this.

It’s optional and I’m going to be turning it off, not because I think it’s dumb (from what I’ve seen some people really need this because they’ll tell off anyone who doesn’t speak their language) but that I don’t care if people speak other languages around me.

Posted by: Mork vom Ork.2598

Mork vom Ork.2598

The newly introduced chat filter is NOT a solution to the problems. It is only sweeping them under the rug.
Instead of not being able to coordinate a Tequatl or 3H-Wurm raid due to the language barriers, now we are unable to do so due to the chat filter. You replaced problem A with problem B, the cause and the results are the same.

Please change the algorithm to only merge people to a mega-map from the same type of home server: international, French, German, or Spanish.
Make guest server override the home server setting, so people from low population clusters (e.g. Spanish) have a chance to join the big blob if they want.

Still loving the smell of Napalm
Bill Kilgore – [BIER] – Seafarer’s Rest random Megaserver

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Well this is a really pathetic way of ‘solving’ a problem people are having, its just like they handle the forums, hide the problem and hope people forget about it.

So their solution to people being unable to communicate with each other on the EU servers? Is to make it by default that they can’t communicate with each other. Bravo, really triple A development right there.

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

This new chat change affects EotM in EU really badly. Read more on this thread. Thanks for your support.

(edited by Howell Qagan.9752)

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

The community’s voice is just as unanimous as it can be on the Internet: we hate the Megaserver fiasco.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I don’t think it’s that — it’s money. Anet is just trying to save as much money as possible. The obvious solution is to have a megaserver for each language. But that would mean several copies of each map (one for each language) must be instanced at any time-- and that’s more costly than one single copy with everyone dumped into it.

Posted by: Klocknov.8219

Klocknov.8219

First off before I say anything I am going to say sorry for not reading a single post leading up to this, but it was the one thing I felt needed to be addressed with the megaserver update.

So I really hate that if the map is on a megaserver I have 1 choice to enter the map and it is not a free WP so I can choose a different WP once I am in it to move to. I would understand if the WP was contestable that it be contested when trying to move to it, but all but one WP per a map if major over-kill and a deterrent to ever want to map again. Why the hell would I go and get all those WPs when I can only use 1 or have to pay twice? Either that or remove the cost for WP movement within the zone. I see no reason that the megaserver should force me to have to pay for two WPs when the WP I am going to is a non-contestable WP and unless this is fixed I see no reason to ever enter a server that has this up that I don’t have someone else willing to waste their gold on mapping. And yes I know it only costs like 2-4s and then another 1-2s, but 5s adds up if you move maps alot.

Posted by: Mork vom Ork.2598

Mork vom Ork.2598

I don’t think it’s that — it’s money. Anet is just trying to save as much money as possible. The obvious solution is to have a megaserver for each language. But that would mean several copies of each map (one for each language) must be instanced at any time-- and that’s more costly than one single copy with everyone dumped into it.

If they keep following this route, they’re going to spend a lot less money on servers in the future, but not in a positive way. People play a multiplayer game with friends, guilds, they build a community.
The current implementation of server merge (they can call it megaserver if they like, it is a server merge) does a perfect job of tearing those communities apart.
The biggest incentive to stay with any multiplayer game is the community.
I can play with a number of random people on any new multiplayer game I join.

Still loving the smell of Napalm
Bill Kilgore – [BIER] – Seafarer’s Rest random Megaserver

(edited by Mork vom Ork.2598)

Posted by: Malkav.9867

Malkav.9867

Europe players will be glad today. Their language issue was fixed.

Added a chat option – enabled by default – that shows only the messages coming from players sharing your client’s text language.

Still there is still a mass communication issue for organized events. However that can be solved as a community.

Not even close. Its causing more issues than it fixed.
1) Instead of language issues the new filter will prevent any coordination(if activated).
2) There are a lot players that use different languages for client and server. for example i personally use an english client but play on a german server and prefere to write german when playing with my friends(and playing within a german community when organizing things like missions and events). The new filter will make other german players being uable to see my text and other users of the english client will still read it.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

The community’s voice is just as unanimous as it can be on the Internet: we hate the Megaserver fiasco.

Yes we do, but like I said in a previous topic, it just takes 1 person in 20 pages of complaints to say they like it and they will run with that post and declare it a success, they don’t allow for the destroyed communities, broken world events, broken local events, ( new language settings ) guild missions broken because of mega server, guesting broken, it goes on and on, sadly we are testing these updates for the China client, don’t forget, if they can make China work, they don’t need NA/EU,

Ive never played a game before there the developer tired to fix something, and ruined the game for so many, but sticks with it, ( ref the world event times for EU players ) its actually making me want to log in less and less now, friends etc are all now looking for a new game.

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

Posted by: TheaEvanda.5038

TheaEvanda.5038

Thank you for the chat option that tunes out languages “foreign” to the client. It really seems to help.
But I would like to differentiate in chat the languages I can understand – I love the Megaserver system and the really populated maps.

So is there a possibility to add a “languages” channel in which I can toggle that I would like to see map chatter that originates on English [EN] or German [DE] and French [FR] servers, but not Spanish [SP] or Polish [PL] because I neither read nor write or understand the language?

I love the international community. I would like to see more of it.

Posted by: JtotheOtotheE.9032

JtotheOtotheE.9032

I will write. From my personal point of view this is a total fail, economy is crazy and there will me more bots and speculates with nerfing 95 % of farming . Great work for the people that already have lots of gold what about new incomer 50% of the game wont save you because people are leaving

I can understand bugs and even small exploits but this is way too much for me. This was a decent game and you ruined, this happened to L2 , to AIon and many others mmo that were desperate for money instead of creating something pleasant for the people.

I am so sorry i lost so much time on this , totally didnt deserve it considering the persent facts

Asacledhae.2650

I suppose i’m not the only one noticing a sudden increase to almost all prices in the trade network.

I’m willing to give A-net a couple of weeks to fix what they broke, and will keep adding my voice here, in the forum. Guild wars 2 isn’t the only fish in the lake.

Ignavia.7420

World bosses are also a bit of a laugh at the moment. Even though I was against the idea of making them instanced at first, I’m getting more and more inclined to this.

Attachments:

Asacledhae.2650

Your zerg appear to be scattered compared to other situations i’ve experienced or seen. Consider yourself lucky that you were so few.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Your zerg appear to be scattered compared to other situations i’ve experienced or seen. Consider yourself lucky that you were so few.

That’s 40 secs into the event, fire ele is already almost gone as you can see. The zerg was apparently big enough.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is quite funny that people complain about this fix, seeing as people have been suggesting this very fix for a very long time (even before MegaServers), but now all of a sudden it is the worst fix ever.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Ignavia.7420

The screenshot is not ideal, there were quite a few other people. What I find problematic here is that we killed that thing in 50 seconds and as you said, we were not coordinated at all. With this mass of people, you can easily get the ele down in less than 30 seconds. There is no challenge in this and no point in looking for red circles on the ground and dodging – the latter is not possible anyway with the amount of effects going on.

Asacledhae.2650

I believe you. My PC could never handle such a crowd, that’s why the last 2 days i’m forced to either play in late night, or early morning…

Ignavia.7420

It is quite funny that people complain about this fix, seeing as people have been suggesting this very fix for a very long time (even before MegaServers), but now all of a sudden it is the worst fix ever.

What fix do you mean?

Here are my thoughts on how to improve world bosses:

• Keep the spawn timers as they currently are.
  • Keep the world boss pres as they currently are.
  • Spawn a portal after the pres are finished.
  • Distribute people in instances using “poker dealer style” (like with the Marionette), but keep parties together. This can be done using the same dialog as when someone in your party enters a personal story mission.
  • The number of instances depends on the number of people on the map and the world boss. For the Fire Elemental, you could aim for 20 people per instance.
  • Add a respawn timer for dead people. The duration of the timer as well as the placement of the checkpoint depends on the world boss.
  • Change the guild world boss unlock so that all member get a popup message (regardless of where they are) if they want to participate in the event. Instead of distributing them automatically, let them choose the instance where they want to go (until one instance is full).
  • Add a short timer till the final event starts (after an instance was created). People can use this period to do some organization.

By the way, to be clear about it: If the language issues and the world bosses are fixed, the megaservers are really nice. In an MMO you should not be the only person on a map and this system accomplishes exactly this. So keep working on it.

(edited by Ignavia.7420)

Posted by: Allen.1620

Allen.1620

Where did I really chose a language for my community? Where? When I selected a server! Not when I selected a language for my interface!

m8 you nailed it and + this mega server is too hard even on my 8 gb i7 laptop, as an asura i demand my rata sum back

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Is mega server thing enabled on all maps? Even in Orr?

Ignavia.7420

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

What fix do you mean?

I am talking specifically about the hotfix for languages, which is basically something people have shouted about for a very long time.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Cactus Brawler.7415

The problem : We are being put with people we can’t understand due to language issues, making world events and progress harder.

The fix: Okay now you can’t understand them or see their chat, but we are still going to put you with them, that will surely help with events and play.

Posted by: Strike.1340

Strike.1340

What I find ultra funny is that Wow went and introduced some sort of overflow system which is stealing from Anet (if i read it right it was long time ago gw2launchish)

And then Anet when and stole the terrible from Wow …. Megaserver

Terrible for populated servers at least .. the ghostown servers all love it … but they will probably flitter off and do something else soon those servers are ghostowns for a reason…

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

I play on a german server with an english client…
So basically, whenever I am thrown onto a server with other german people from different servers, I can’t communicate with them? What?
Such a helpful feature, really.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Posted by: Strike.1340

Strike.1340

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Congratulations-ANET/3927214

this post in my original thread by “Ok I did it” states it all

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

So basically, whenever I am thrown onto a server with other german people from different servers, I can’t communicate with them? What?

You seem to speak English very good.. I should not be a problem.

Astralporing.1957

What fix do you mean?

I am talking specifically about the hotfix for languages, which is basically something people have shouted about for a very long time.

That “hotfix” doesn’t fix anything. It just hides the problem under the rug.

Actions, not words.

Cactus Brawler.7415

You seem to speak English very good.. I should not be a problem.

You don’t get how the filter works.

If someone playing with the German client has the filter on, they will only see things written by other people using the German client.

Said people could be writing in any language, it’s the CLIENT’s language that effects the filter.

Basically anyone he plays with who uses the German client, on the German server he plays on, will not be able to see his messages.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I don’t know why we can’t just have a dialogue pop up that says “There is a Megaserver for this map, do you want to join?”

Similar to how the Overflow message worked to Travel to your home server (or guesting server), Re-enter Queue, or Leave Queue.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a megaserver if everyone on the large population servers leaves. So No… it’s Not a good idea.

I am on Tarnished Coast, a large pop server, and I approve this change. Because even if it is an inconvenience for me….it is Good for the game as a whole, and it is great for people on low Population servers.

The game doesn’t revolve around my a**.

Or " The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

3.) Give players the choice, which “map/instanced” Version the Player wants to join,
as a drop-down list like:
#0, gendarran field, let the automatic decide (default)
#1 gendarran fields, 100 Players, language english
#2 gendarran fields, full
#3 gendarran fields, 10 Players, language german

etc…

The ArenaNet Developers have already commented that at the moment this is not possible.

Please give a link to an official post/website with this Information. Especially the “at the moment” part.

Thanks.

Astralporing.1957

3.) Give players the choice, which “map/instanced” Version the Player wants to join,
as a drop-down list like:
#0, gendarran field, let the automatic decide (default)
#1 gendarran fields, 100 Players, language english
#2 gendarran fields, full
#3 gendarran fields, 10 Players, language german

etc…

The ArenaNet Developers have already commented that at the moment this is not possible.

Please give a link to an official post/website with this Information. Especially the “at the moment” part.

Thanks.

They actually didn’t say that. They said “this is not GW1 and works differently” – this doesn’t really mean it is impossible here.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Only small servers gained something from Megaserver. Big servers lost and lost big time. My server already had people in all zones, enough to do stuff without overcrowding. All world boses were doable at all times. We had nice estabilished comunity. Troling was to the minimum.
Now its some kind of nightmare. PvE is unplayable, trolls and crowds everywhere. Doing round of world boses takes 4 times longer, with annoying breaks in between each boss where there is nothing to do.
Anet please let people decide if they want to go to Megaserver map or stay on their own server map. Also with megaservers please disable guesting.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Thanks for the last patch Bug fix where u filter the languages in the Map chat! Hepls English speaking players not getting mad on Germans in european servers. Really good initiative!

Kima & Co

Posted by: Syndrilious.9632

Syndrilious.9632

Couple quick idea’s.

Since you advertised the Megaserver system as keeping parties together, keeping guilds together, and making it more likely to match based off of shared language, friends list, and homeworld, why not actually have it function that way, or give us another menu option, with drop-down boxes so we can choose the order of preference. For instance, I would prefer to always be in the same instance as my party members and guild mates, it shouldn’t be hard to add us to instances that way. Sure if you can’t find an empty enough instance for us, drop us into a lower pop instance thats fine and dandy. But when we go to do guild bounties/missions and can’t because we all can’t get onto the same map, theres a problem here. Rather than bringing us all together, your forcing us to play with strangers and not the friends we want to play with, also, add a “Roleplaying” tickbox to the same menu. This one change right here, would solve most of peoples complaints about the Mega-server system. Best part, its only a few hundred lines of code, since all your doing is making the search criteria manipulable. And its a high ticket item. I can’t even get into the same instance to do events with my real life wife half the time, because the system moves us to different instances, rather than throwing us together, even if we are in a party.

So there, two suggestions that would completely fix this issue, also, talk to us a bit. Sooner rather than later, your house is on fire, fixing that would be a swell idea.

Other than that one complaint, I’m good to go, really enjoying most of the changes, the boss schedule feels forced, but if the rest of the Mega-server system worked it wouldn’t feel as crappy.

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

it is Good for the game as a whole, and it is great for people on low Population servers.

The game doesn’t revolve around my a**.

Or " The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

I dont agree. Beeing on a lowpop server we are thrown around at whatever map that isnt full. Even with guildies it seems totally random where you end up.
And now, with this default idiotic “fix”, Im still running around in my own little bubble of one. Oh yes, I can see some others but they dont say anything.
Doing a world boss event, or any event for that matter, with 50+ other people without a word is downright creepy.
Seriously, try it while it lasts, its weird as a young cat.

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

It would be really nice to get some developer comments on this thread…

Clearly they are reading it because they released a language hotfix. We have dozens of questions and suggestions in this thread, we could use some feedback too.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story