Watchwork Pick: Why No Response?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

You know that Scarlet is going to be gone in a month right? No more invasions and such? No more Scarlett’s lair. No more sprockets. Only from the pick. And the pick probably provides 0.1% of the current supply.

Prices will shoot right through the roof, just like candy corn, snowflakes and taffy…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I’m surprised people are crying/whining/screaming about this and making it into much more of an issue than it is, but I have no doubt Arenanet will capitulate.

You know that Scarlet is going to be gone in a month right? No more invasions and such? No more Scarlett’s lair. No more sprockets. Only from the pick. And the pick probably provides 0.1% of the current supply.

Prices will shoot right through the roof, just like candy corn, snowflakes and taffy…

But they didn’t shoot throu… oh.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

I doubt that. There are lot enough uses for sprockets.

If it would rise then speculators would already have come in to hoard them but their market price indicates that this is not happening.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

You are so wrong. I currently have 2 sources of sprockets, the pick and the resource node in my home instance.

Also, just because Scarlet is gone, doesn’t mean the sprockets will stop.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

Scarlet will be gone. Watchwork stuff may go with it. There will still be a node in everyone’s home instance who did the meta (plenty). There will still be people out there with picks generating sprockets for the market.
Go look at the price of quartz crystals. There is no way to get those except nodes, plenty of people are making celestial armor, and even before wintersday dumped a bunch on people, the price for those PEAKED at 3 silver. These are unlikely to ever even go that high. there is ZERO basis to assume they will except for misunderstanding economics and wishful thinking.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Scarlet will be gone. Watchwork stuff may go with it. There will still be a node in everyone’s home instance who did the meta (plenty). There will still be people out there with picks generating sprockets for the market.
Go look at the price of quartz crystals. There is no way to get those except nodes, plenty of people are making celestial armor, and even before wintersday dumped a bunch on people, the price for those PEAKED at 3 silver. These are unlikely to ever even go that high. there is ZERO basis to assume they will except for misunderstanding economics and wishful thinking.

All of this is irrelevant to the point of the thread. Why is A-Net ignoring the outcry from people who care about and use the gem store? Are they just waiting for the clamor to stop with no change?

My own feeling is that they are waiting to see how many of us who have a problem with the item continue to use the gemstore anyway and how many completely stop. Bean counting — that’s why there’s been no response. They’re trying to decide if it is monetarily worthwhile to make offers like this.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

My own feeling is that they are waiting to see how many of us who have a problem with the item continue to use the gemstore anyway and how many completely stop. Bean counting — that’s why there’s been no response. They’re trying to decide if it is monetarily worthwhile to make offers like this.

People are turning this into a much larger problem than it really is, literally. There are multiple threads and many posts, but for the most part the same people are repeating the same things over and over in different threads. This makes it look like a huge problem, but many of them admit they already bought the pick anyway.

We don’t know how many have sold, but if they have sold something like 10,000 units or so (not impossible considering the game’s population), then even a hundred protesters represent a tiny percentage of potential customers. Such a percentage is not enough to influence any decisions, the same thing happens with any change to the game, the devs do not reverse their decisions based on the whims of a few forum members.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

People are turning this into a much larger problem than it really is, literally.

No, they aren’t. Literally.

but many of them admit they already bought the pick anyway.

I’ve only seen a few say that. I haven’t seen this many that you speak of in regards to buying the other pick. I’ve certainly seen people say they bought the pick who also don’t have a problem with said pick, though.

the devs do not reverse their decisions based on the whims of a few forum members.

That’s funny considering that’s exactly what they did with the Flamekissed armor.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nicron.2794

Nicron.2794

still no reply? rly sad…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dAcIaW.5107

dAcIaW.5107

I was tempted to buy a slot expansion last weekend, but due to the sprocket thing I did not. Maybe they will come out with a slot expansion plus that character now gets a free precursor every time they kill an enemy buff the next time the expansion slot sale is released..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Then they’re dumb because even the original GW only granted you today’s content but there they expected you to buy an expansion/play alone if you wanted more.

We don’t have that here right now. What we have is a more comprehensive cash shop trying to provide items that would get players to buy gems with cash, now that the exchange rate is high, to purchase them. Different business model.

It is not a different business model its the exact same business model with extras. We buy the game just like GW1 for 60 bucks which gives you access to everything in this package. They have the store to make extra on top of that. I hate the kitten excuse that its different. The only difference is they are being lazy and greedy this time and rather than working on real content they give us 2 week QnD trash so they can sell more skins in the store. GW1 showed that the original expansion model works.

If its a going to be totally free to play model built around the store then give me back my 80 bucks for the digital deluxe I bought or give me the equivalent in gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

But as an expansion it really was the same game engine with a different set of art assets and professions. True set in the same world but you didn’t need to own the first to play the second or third. True if you owned both (or all) they dove tail together to a degree but they were three much smaller MMO-lite games. In GW2 they tried to expand the world of the original game while eliminating the hub-instance model of GW which limited party size.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

dAcIaW.5107

sprockets are now back up to 1s each, that is a decent amount of P2W with every hit in my opinion

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s nothing considering how much gold the equivalent gems would get … the argument doesn’t change, regardless of the price of sprockets.

You can’t complain anyways … you had the chance to buy it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

dAcIaW.5107

I can’t complain? Mybad i forgot you were in charge of what people are allowed to complain about lol

(edited by dAcIaW.5107)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

You had the opportunity to buy it … you only have yourself to complain to if you didn’t get it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

You had the opportunity to buy it … you only have yourself to complain to if you didn’t get it.

That’s not really fair, though. Any good consumer is going to do product research before they make a purchase. If the research provides conflicting or possibly troubling information due to lack of input from the developer/manufacturer on a limited-access item, your options are “make the purchase despite research turning up the possibility of it being a bad deal,” or “decline to make the purchase on the basis of you possibly getting a raw deal.” Those aren’t ideal purchasing circumstances at all. I know I wouldn’t risk it, even if it were limited in some fashion.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

If the pick is so P2W like lots of people are claiming, then it should be an obvious buy.

I’m not sure what information you are referring to that is lacking. It was clear to me what this item offered. In no way is this a P2W item like lots of poeple are claiming … if it is, it’s less P2W than simply buying gold with gems and I don’t see anyone complaining about that. That ‘P2W’ argument against these enhanced infinite gathering tools is just a non-starter.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

If the pick is so P2W like lots of people are claiming, then it should be an obvious buy.

I’m not sure what information you are referring to that is lacking. It was clear to me what this item offered. In no way is this a P2W item like lots of poeple are claiming … if it is, it’s less P2W than simply buying gold with gems and I don’t see anyone complaining about that. That ‘P2W’ argument against these enhanced infinite gathering tools is just a non-starter.

There was also the question of whether or not the pick’s Sprocket drops overrode the bonus drops you could ordinarily get when mining. That would have made it significantly less attractive. I don’t know if that’s still a question mark at this time or not, but what matters is that at the time the pick was up for grabs, people were concerned that it was actually potentially worse in some areas than a standard pick.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

No. Because it’s pay-to-win, many are not buying because it sets a bad precedent. If enough people buy this, then Anet knows they can push even further into P2W territory for their next item. Anet would be stupid to not do this because it makes them money in the short/medium term.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

sprockets are fairly useless

I keep seeing this myopic argument crop up. Useless like the 4m+ silk scraps that were at or around vendor price until recently? Arguing that this is harmless because you don’t value sprockets assumes that demand (and thus value) isn’t dynamic, reactive and volatile (and entirely at the mercy of the anet economist, as was silk).

This also applies to those arguing that it is fine because “I now have a sprocket node in my personal instance”. If you can’t see the difference between a limited, time gated personal node, and a mining tool which generates sprockets whenever a resource node is mined on an unlimited basis, you really need to try and understand the concept of supply and why this is grossly inappropriate.

I might not be the first person to point this out, but a mechanism is used to craft the gift of blades. So. . .

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

No. Because it’s pay-to-win, many are not buying because it sets a bad precedent. If enough people buy this, then Anet knows they can push even further into P2W territory for their next item. Anet would be stupid to not do this because it makes them money in the short/medium term.

Their motivation to release successively better P2W has nothing to do with pushing some boundary or precedents. It has everything to do with paying the bills. People better get accustomed to this fast if they don’t want to see the business model of the game change (i.e., monthly fees, restricted content, paid expansions)

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

sprockets are fairly useless

I keep seeing this myopic argument crop up. Useless like the 4m+ silk scraps that were at or around vendor price until recently? Arguing that this is harmless because you don’t value sprockets assumes that demand (and thus value) isn’t dynamic, reactive and volatile (and entirely at the mercy of the anet economist, as was silk).

This also applies to those arguing that it is fine because “I now have a sprocket node in my personal instance”. If you can’t see the difference between a limited, time gated personal node, and a mining tool which generates sprockets whenever a resource node is mined on an unlimited basis, you really need to try and understand the concept of supply and why this is grossly inappropriate.

I might not be the first person to point this out, but a mechanism is used to craft the gift of blades. So. . .

And for the price, they are much CHEAPER to buy than the pick itself so instead people being upset they didn’t get a pick, they should breathe a sigh of relief.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

And for the price, they are CHEAP mats to buy … much cheaper and faster than having the pick.

You keep saying that like prices aren’t subject to change. They’ve more than tripled in cost since the “Oh, they’re only 34c” defense was first mounted.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

And for the price, they are CHEAP mats to buy … much cheaper and faster than having the pick.

You keep saying that like prices aren’t subject to change. They’ve more than tripled in cost since the “Oh, they’re only 34c” defense was first mounted.

I never said that. The math has been done … I will leave it to you to figure out how much gold a sprocket will have to be worth before the pick makes a sound investment.

in Black Lion Trading Co

dAcIaW.5107

^ mhm that is one of the reasons I didn’t buy it

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

Then you’re simply denying yourself the advantages of the items because they aren’t going to stop coming. If people don’t buy them, they are only going to get better, faster, not go away, Why? because fancy skins on mining tools has only so much mileage to appeal to players … at some point stuff has to get better or different to pay the bills. It’s inevitable. I think you forget the reason you don’t pay a monthly fee … it’s because of all items Anet sell in the gemstore. If a few are P2W (this one certainly is far from that), you shouldn’t complain because the guy buying them is funding the game i.e., he’s paying FOR YOU to play FOR FREE. It’s a selfish outlook.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Anet has a vested interest in sprockets rising in price now. It shows those players that bought the pick they paid for something “valuable”. Since in essence nothing has value in Tyria, this is a neat trick.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

It’s inevitable. I think you forget the reason you don’t pay a monthly fee … it’s because of all items Anet sell in the gemstore. If a few are P2W (this one certainly is far from that), you shouldn’t complain because the guy buying them is funding the game i.e., he’s paying FOR YOU to play FOR FREE. It’s a selfish outlook.

Your ‘argument’ is illogical and invalid and easily disproven. And here is why:

GW1 is/was buy to play, no monthly fee. The cash shop (which developed years after release) only sold costumes, and account upgrades that would let new players (who had no interest in pve) jump fully into PvP.

Also, servers (for anything on the internet) cost next to nothing to run and maintain. Especially for a business, even a small business.

:) sniffs the air and breathes out long and loud

If you’re going to ‘argue’ a point, maybe sure it makes sense. Ty.

Cash shops NEVER, EVER “fund the game for people who choose to not pay any extra”. Get this idea out of your head, because it is wrong in every single way. Though it is cute you said it.

I will admit it is cute that you let Blizzard mind control you into thinking monthly fee’s were mandatory and necessary. As well as believing 10 hour down times once per week were necessary. Blizzard is/was/will always be a joke.

ANet, the reason I bought this game is because I was PROMISED there would be no pay to win, and no vertical gear grind. Both were broken. And both were for the worse.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

(edited by thaooo.5320)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

WHERE IS THE P2W? Tell me that and don’t point to some 40c sprocket as proof.

And if it’s not the cash shop, what is funding the continuing development of the game for the last 18 months? All the box sales did was pay off the initial development costs to pay off NCSOFT. Not to mention a fair chunk of that money never got put into ANet’s coffers first, NC Interactive and NCEurope took their share first for the box revenues. Sure it all ends up in NCSOFT’s hands in the end, booked as income, but each subsidiary needs to show profitability within it’s own income/cost structure if it’s to survive.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

GW1 is/was buy to play, no monthly fee. The cash shop (which developed years after release) only sold costumes, and account upgrades that would let new players (who had no interest in pve) jump fully into PvP.

This isn’t GW1 so whatever happened there isn’t relevant here. SOMETHING funds this game, and it’s not thin air and wishful thinking. It’s MONEY and this game makes its money from gemstore. If this game is to continue running, you’re only going to see MORE items and enhancements, not less.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

Guild wars 2 is not the first game with in application purchases. The games that pioneered this form of businesses model (like LoL) are perfectly fine in only having skins/xp increases as exclusive content for purchases, and do not provide stats, better items, and exclusive crafting materials (the last is what watchwork pick do).

in Black Lion Trading Co

dAcIaW.5107

WHERE IS THE P2W? Tell me that and don’t point to some 40c sprocket as proof.

well I guess you win, i mean if we cant point to the proof how can we prove it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I agree that the Watchwork Pick (and the Airship Pass) aren’t P2W in the traditional sense, but they ARE a pay-for-advantage, and represent a slow power creep in the convenience items available from the gem store. If this trend continues, we will likely end up in a situation where you have Player A, who has kitted himself out with all unlimited tools (each one giving an extra bonus), the Airship Pass (allowing himself quick access to all services in a single double-click), and possible other bonuses such as a “mount” that gives him an innate speed boost, a “Frequent Gate Traveler” pass that gives him discounts on waypoints etc. Player B, on the other hand, is relatively new to the game and poor on cash, so he can’t afford any of these bonuses. The gulf between both players would be wide indeed, and it’s hard not to see that the two players basically belong to two entirely different “social classes”.

I just don’t want ANet to end up creating a situation where we have the “haves” and “have-nots” in GW2. I want all players in the game to be on equal footing, or if not, to have the benefits offered by gem store items to have only minimal effects outside of cosmetic or convenience benefits.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Excruciator.5249

Excruciator.5249

Their motivation to release successively better P2W has nothing to do with pushing some boundary or precedents. It has everything to do with paying the bills. People better get accustomed to this fast if they don’t want to see the business model of the game change (i.e., monthly fees, restricted content, paid expansions)

So the only way to generate revenue is with vertical progression and “successively better P2W”. That is what you’re saying here? It’s apologist attitudes like this which facilitate such bland, ill conceived and blatantly lazy content being added to the game.

Will it generate some money from the bovine masses? Yes. Will it drive away other slightly more skeptical consumers? Yes. I could quite easily argue that this marketing strategy will lead to a loss of revenue over the long term once enough people start to lose faith as they realise they are just on another treadmill.

Gem store content should be worth buying because it is appealing, well designed content, not because it provides any kind of progression or pay to win advantage (your words, not mine). That is absolutely the laziest way to provide incentive to buy. It takes no designer skill, no imagination and no real effort. It absolutely pushes boundaries and sets precedents, because they are basically selling players an advantage to save themselves the time and effort create some content that would be desirable on it’s own merit. And that is sad, because there are some talented artists and designers working on this game.

Also, please stop with the “buying sprockets is a lot cheaper than buying the pick”. The pick shares the same functionality as previous picks which were sold purely for the sake of convenience.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Guardian Of Tyria.6397

Guardian Of Tyria.6397

The pick gives the person who bought it an advantage over someone who bought an earlier gem store unlimited pick (getting extra income from mining).

Having an advantage over others in something makes it more likely that you will be more successful than them….i.e. you will be winning when compared to them.

Anyone who did not buy the an earlier gem store pick (molten or bone) and did not buy the watchwork one doesn’t have much to complain about because they had the option to buy it. It still gives an advantage over non-gem store picks, but they had nothing to lose with buying it.

Anyone who DID buy one of the earlier gem store picks (molten or bone) DOES have something to complain about since the watchwork pick gives a clear advantage over earlier gem store picks (earlier picks gave only ore, watchwork pick gives ore + extra stuff) and if they would have bought it their old purchase (molten or bone pick) would have been obsolete/worthless.

If they would have/will allow an exchange (or even an upgrade for a couple hundred gems) from one version of pick to another, or to add the new functionality of the watchwork pick to an old pick (spend a couple hundred gems to make your molten/bone pick get bonus sprockets with mining nodes), then they wouldn’t alienate their old customers.

Oh, and as far as selling the gems for gold vs buying the pick:

Last I checked sprockets were 80c each (68c profit after TP tax) and gems were converting to 6g per 100. So, you would be in the black after selling 8850 sprockets at 80c each. If you take the approximate 20% chance of getting sprockets with mining you would have to of mined around 44250 individual pieces of ore (not nodes) to get the 8850 sprockets.

But in all honesty if feels like a kick in the nuts or a back handed slap to the face, more than anything else, to anyone that supported Anet through purchasing the molten alliance pick or bone pick.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

So the only way to generate revenue is with vertical progression and “successively better P2W”. That is what you’re saying here?

No, I didn’t say it was the only way … There are lots of ways for a game to generate revenue but the only one worth discussing is the way it DOES generate revenue. If people are going to ignore the business model for the game, then they can invent any nonsensical scenario they want … not that it would be at all relevant. I guess some people find it hard to bring themselves into reality when playing MMOs …

The sales potential of an item in the shop goes down as the number of people with said item goes up. It’s not a hard concept. The way to keep people buying is to improve the offerings.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

I’ve been reading through this thread and honestly I’m not sure what the issue people are trying to bring up is? Basically it looks like people are making the point that it is not fair that one type of pick has additional functionality that other picks don’t?

Question for those of you who feel that they’ve been slighted. Was there anything in the terms and conditions when you bought your pick that said it was going to have free upgrades for the life (or even a specific amount of time) of the pick as far as functionality goes? Was that ever alluded to?

Second question for those same folks. If you buy a new computer from Dell and 3 months later they release a newer, more powerful computer for the same price do you believe you are entitled to the same? That Dell should upgrade your 3 month old computer? Of course no one thinks that. So why would that be on anyone’s mind regarding content of this game?

Finally regarding the sprockets that this pick produces. Anet has not said what if any gate they will put on sprockets. In other words we don’t know if they’ll turn them into drops from NPCs or if they’ll be salvageable from armor/weapons. Those who have purchased the picks are speculating that they’ll be able to make a profit because nothing else will drop them but that might be entirely wrong.

BG

in Black Lion Trading Co

dAcIaW.5107

Second question for those same folks. If you buy a new computer from Dell and 3 months later they release a newer, more powerful computer for the same price do you believe you are entitled to the same? That Dell should upgrade your 3 month old computer? Of course no one thinks that. So why would that be on anyone’s mind regarding content of this game?

Ugh do you really feel that your comparison is valid? I mean with a computer as time passes technology gets better and what used to be state of the art can be done cheaper and better. This is not that, this is code in a game and if the code is done well most likely the pick just has some attribute/class which can be set to true or added and bam it can now also mine sprockets.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

It’s completely valid. I buy upgrades to software all the time, even if it has some shared functionality (and I don’t tend to cry to the company that I purchased their older versions so I should get a deal) … that’s exactly what the pick is. What makes the comparison relevant is the purchasing behaviour of people. Again, put some old software in a green vs. a blue box is not going to sell you more units … but adding some extra function to the software will sell more than the box change.

Are you even aware of how innovation works? This isn’t different. The business model depends on people buying stuff. Cosmetic changes aren’t good selling points.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

Ugh do you really feel that your comparison is valid? I mean with a computer as time passes technology gets better and what used to be state of the art can be done cheaper and better. This is not that, this is code in a game and if the code is done well most likely the pick just has some attribute/class which can be set to true or added and bam it can now also mine sprockets.

Yes I believe it’s valid. But I’ll change it up a bit. Instead of a full computer what about a software package? You buy the software package for $50 and use it for 5 or 6 months and they release a new version that you have to pay full retail for. Do you think you should be given the software with the new features free of charge because you previously bought the software?

BG

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SeasThyDay.7398

SeasThyDay.7398

Yes I believe it’s valid. But I’ll change it up a bit. Instead of a full computer what about a software package? You buy the software package for $50 and use it for 5 or 6 months and they release a new version that you have to pay full retail for. Do you think you should be given the software with the new features free of charge because you previously bought the software?

This isn’t a major software overhaul or a new computer we’re talking about.

Keeping in line with your analogies, it would be like the difference between Windows 8 moving to Windows 8.1, or Dell upgrading the speakers on a computer model that you recently bought.

While minor, nobody should expect these bonuses; if a company wants to be stingy, it’s their business. You can always take yours elsewhere if need be. Those who previously bought the infinite gathering tools should’ve already been aware that they are purely convenience items.

As you mentioned, there’s no stipulation that sprockets will be removed, or that they won’t be reintroduced in some later piece of content.

As a person who bought the complete first set, I don’t have any regrets. In my opinion, it’s still the best set, aesthetically speaking.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kamui.3150

Kamui.3150

At least for me, the primary reason why I don’t like the added bonus of the Watchwork Pick is that it shows a desire to simply pander to player greed, instead of giving them good value for their money spent. Look at so many of the other items in the gem store: One time use armour/weapon skins, the Terrace/Airship passes only being usable on one character at a time (and apparently booting you out if you log into the locations, even with a pass in inventory), even the infinite tools were once soulbound and then upgraded at a later point to be account bound. The whole reason was to make the player feel like they got good value for their money.

If you didn’t get one of the prior mining picks, I don’t fault you one bit for buying the Watchwork one. However, these picks are a horrible buy for anyone that bought one of the prior picks, because it costs the exact same (Molten and Bone picks have most recently sold for 1000 gems, same as this) but has added functionality. I love this game, and want to see it become something great, but this item sets a bad precedent. Thankfully it looks like they didn’t make the latest gathering sickle have any kind of bonus, so it seems that they’ve learned that these added bonuses are not the way to go. IMO, the best way for them to start selling more stuff in the gem store is to give better value to a consumer for their money. The one-use skins and character bound stuff needs to stop. ANet needs to let the skins reside in a skin archive where the player can pull a copy as many times as they like. They need to have the same happen with the infinite tools (no needing to hand things off at a bank between characters) and the same with the Terrace/Airship passes. If they make more things in the gem store user friendly, I guarantee it’ll make the players far happier, and they will see far more items being bought up in the gem store.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

At least the new sickle got no bonus added…

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

Question is : Who on earth would “buy” the sickle since it has no bonus, what stops them from adding a new tool later that is a sickle WITH a bonus?
Waste of money in that case.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kamui.3150

Kamui.3150

The main point of the new tools, IMO, is for newer players that missed out on older tools, or those that actually like the new skin better. And that’s how it should be, IMO.

in Black Lion Trading Co

dAcIaW.5107

Software package sure, I bought a mac, recently a newer operating system came out for the mac. The operating system is free to upgrade too.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarcShriek.5829

Question is : Who on earth would “buy” the sickle since it has no bonus, what stops them from adding a new tool later that is a sickle WITH a bonus?

I bought it. It looks cool and I don’t have to go through the hassle of swapping it with another character. I now have all three harvesters and I fully intend to continue to get one of each new one until all 8 of my characters have one. I hate buying sickles.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

Question is : Who on earth would “buy” the sickle since it has no bonus,

People that don’t have them that want them now.

what stops them from adding a new tool later that is a sickle WITH a bonus?

Nothing, but no one should have a problem with people wasting money so they can play for free.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarcShriek.5829

Anet needs to sell an item for $50.00 that will instantly promote a character to level 80.