Open world Duels [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: tyler.2569

tyler.2569

I just feel the ability to be able to duel a player anywhere is a must… I dont want to have to go to a private server every time i want to fight a friend

in Suggestions

Posted by: emon.1863

emon.1863

I just feel the ability to be able to duel a player anywhere is a must… I dont want to have to go to a private server every time i want to fight a friend

Whats the point of unbalanced duelling ?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sujiro.3590

Sujiro.3590

It s mostly for fun. Especially while waiting for events and everyone starts getting bored. Also, WvW gearing is different and i want to test it in a more controlled fashion since WvW can be a mess sometimes.

I dont get why ppl hates it though. There was a good idea of making duel invite blocked by default until you unblock it.

in Suggestions

tyler.2569

Not all dueling would be unbalanced – and, I find it is the lack of balance sometimes that allows and even forces the player base to take the matter into their own hands, developing sub communities around certain classes. I’ve been a part of some really great sub communities where we knew what was just too powerful, and the consensus agreed against its use. We’re not asking to allow Arena Net to balance the game for us; give us the opportunity, trust us, and we’ll find balance amongs ourselves. Sometimes, dueling is truly a living world of its own. And personally, I prefer the imbalances… They yield great originality and new discoveries sometimes, and it’s just fun for me when things aren’t perfectly balanced.

in Suggestions

Posted by: emon.1863

emon.1863

Not all dueling would be unbalanced – and, I find it is the lack of balance sometimes that allows and even forces the player base to take the matter into their own hands, developing sub communities around certain classes. I’ve been a part of some really great sub communities where we knew what was just too powerful, and the consensus agreed against its use. We’re not asking to allow Arena Net to balance the game for us; give us the opportunity, trust us, and we’ll find balance amongs ourselves. Sometimes, dueling is truly a living world of its own. And personally, I prefer the imbalances… They yield great originality and new discoveries sometimes, and it’s just fun for me when things aren’t perfectly balanced.

This game is base’d on teamplay/teamwork – so there are some classes that can beat rest 1vs1 , so that makes no point in duelling (for exapmle mesmer) + in PvE/WvW there are big stats diffrence between players.

“We’re not asking to allow Arena Net to balance the game” – what ?! O_o
I would love to see balance at least between class’s.

" Sometimes, dueling is truly a living world of its own" – you mean Open World PvP? Well this is for children and people who love to destroy fun and peacful pve game for others.

“And personally, I prefer the imbalances… They yield great originality and new discoveries sometimes, and it’s just fun for me when things aren’t perfectly balanced. "
So you are not a PvP person and you don’t like challange. I guess you are one of thous players who take OP class ,because it is easy way just to ruin other people fun.

I don’t usually play pve, but when i do – I want to relax with some jumping puzzle and i deffenetly don’t want that some kid will push me from a cliff, just becaus he thinks it is funny.

in Suggestions

tyler.2569

This game is base’d on teamplay/teamwork – so there are some classes that can beat rest 1vs1 , so that makes no point in duelling (for exapmle mesmer) + in PvE/WvW there are big stats diffrence between players.

“We’re not asking to allow Arena Net to balance the game” – what ?! O_o
I would love to see balance at least between class’s.

" Sometimes, dueling is truly a living world of its own" – you mean Open World PvP? Well this is for children and people who love to destroy fun and peacful pve game for others.

“And personally, I prefer the imbalances… They yield great originality and new discoveries sometimes, and it’s just fun for me when things aren’t perfectly balanced. "
So you are not a PvP person and you don’t like challange. I guess you are one of thous players who take OP class ,because it is easy way just to ruin other people fun.

I don’t usually play pve, but when i do – I want to relax with some jumping puzzle and i deffenetly don’t want that some kid will push me from a cliff, just becaus he thinks it is funny.

I really don’t feel you understand where I’m coming from, and may have taken what I was saying out of context and misinterpreted it.
There is no reason Anet could not allow your experienced to be compromised by me dueling with my friends. A simple option of whether or not you would like to receive dueling invites, which by default could be set to ‘no’ in the options, would allow you to play pve and be at ease, relaxed knowing not only can nobody attack you, but also that you don’t even have to worry about having denying invites since in options you’d have that feature turned off.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Yes, I think it would be a fun activity to do while waiting for an event. The basic system is already there in Costume Brawl.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Suggestions

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yes or No? I vote no, for all the reasons given in the countless other threads about dueling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Yes, if there is an option like “never accept duel” so people don’t bother you when you hate duels.
I’d really like to teach humility to some of my guildmates or to kill times when waiting for mega boss events instead of afking.

in Suggestions

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

No, unless they can only be done in certain areas far away from waypoints and cities.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

It should be in the mist . Little special area for duals to happen.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Asked and answered every couple of days for the past 6 months.
The majority has said no.
Please stop asking.
That is all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Perhaps I just havnt seen it but why are duels such a no?

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I find it funny that so many people complain about a system that doesn’t exist. No one is saying that a duel system has to be based around invites. It could be exactly the same system as Costume Brawl. I.e. you set up a (free) “duel box”, and other players can then accept your duel by using the same box.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Suggestions

nachtnebel.9168

I find it funny that so many people complain about a system that doesn’t exist. No one is saying that a duel system has to be based around invites. It could be exactly the same system as Costume Brawl. I.e. you set up a (free) “duel box”, and other players can then accept your duel by using the same box.

Which would duels still allow to happen in places where I don’t want them. Keep those anoying effects and sounds out of my field of view, allow them only in certain areas and you can have it, otherwise I am and will always be a no.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Yes, so we get the space wasters out of WvW maps. Honestly I could care less about duels, but if it gets rid of the people dueling at WM I really don’t care what they do.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mongo.2490

Mongo.2490

It’s a weird concept, it really is.

Cons:
- Trying to run around while your interface is spammed with duel requests.
- Nerd raged players hazing with “DUEL ME BRO”
- Creates a ‘messy’ atmosphere

Proc:
- Able to test your skills 1v1 in a controlled environment
- Actually can be entertaining if in the right area

So overall, I’d say no to “Open World”. Although con #1 could be rectified with a ‘Reject duels’ option, I feel it would only subtract from the game.

I remember in playing that old Universe of Fightcraft walking outside a town and seeing 2-3 duels going on. Sometimes it was fun to watch and cheer players on. In a dedicated area, it can be fine and actually add to the atmosphere.

I personally enjoyed being able to duel with my buddies… not to prove who was better, but to practice.

If there was a dedicated area for duels (maybe fighting pits or something in the mists area), I think it would be fine… but no open world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

A big resounding no.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ehjhey.1894

ehjhey.1894

Let us duel in the black citadel arena! who’s with me!

…no?

I’ll leave now

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Duels would actually fit into an MMORPG thematically. Just make it so there are open arenas all over the world, there already are arenas in several places which are maintained by NPCs, I remember one where I had to fight various mobs for example. It wouldn’t affect anybody who doesn’t want to duel.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

Posted by: McNuggetBandit.8376

McNuggetBandit.8376

as long as it cant be done inside citys go for it

in Suggestions

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

> shakes Magic 8 Ball <

No.

Well, that settles that I’m afraid. No one argues with the Magic 8 Ball.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Suggestions

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have a couple of reasons I’d prefer not to see open world dueling:

1) Reminds me too much of other games, such as WoW. Not only this, but constantly being spammed invitations to dual is annoying, and most games have no way to permanently shut it off. Some of us, just don’t like dueling.

2) Its not the ‘GW way’. In GW1, all pvp was locked into specific arenas – HA, RA, TA, AB, GvG, CB, etc and so on. If you wanted to duel someone in GW1, you invited them to your guild hall and set up a match that way. For the most part, GW2 follows this trend, with the exception of Costume Brawl, which they allowed ‘openly’ in LA.

Personally, I’d prefer to see CB moved back to its own arena as well, or perhaps its own instance of LA, but all the affects, sounds, etc with soooo many people lagged the crap out of a lot of people. This is an issue that could present itself for general open world dueling as well.

3) Open world duels encourage people to loiter, instead of playing the game. Goldshire is a perfect example of this in WoW. Most WoW players will know what I’m talking about here. Tons of people hang out in this tiny ‘town’ outside the human capitol and all they do is duel. You can’t walk through the area without being spammed duel invites. High and low levels alike congregate here and do nothing else but hang out. When you’re trying to quest in that area, it can be one helluva pain.

4) It encourages elitism to an extent as well. People get very kitteny because they’ve won ‘x’ duels. They must be ‘uber elite’ for ‘insert nonsensical reason here’. I won’t argue that dueling takes skill. I won’t argue that some duelists are really good. However, I will argue that a lot of the trash talkers fall into neither of those categories, and do we really need more of that in this game? Not really the attitude I’d like to foster in my player community.

Honestly, I have no issues with having 1v1 or 2v2 or w/e, but make them arenas. Put them in the mists as they were in GW1, or make them accessible though guild halls (and please give us guild halls soon!). Oh yes, and include observer mode for it. =)

Just my thoughts on the topic.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Which would duels still allow to happen in places where I don’t want them. Keep those anoying effects and sounds out of my field of view, allow them only in certain areas and you can have it, otherwise I am and will always be a no.

Yet people already have costume brawls everywhere, there’s always a box of fun in a city which creates a lot of sound and effects. There’s always people spamming their skills to show off the animations of their weapons, there’s always people using portals and portal guns and even more people using them.

The reasons you guys don’t want dueling are some of the most absurd ones I’ve ever heard.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Cause most of the players are scared they will get destroyed by experienced players. And that fps will be less then 5 in LA.

in Suggestions

Aeonblade.8709

Yet people already have costume brawls everywhere, there’s always a box of fun in a city which creates a lot of sound and effects. There’s always people spamming their skills to show off the animations of their weapons, there’s always people using portals and portal guns and even more people using them.

The reasons you guys don’t want dueling are some of the most absurd ones I’ve ever heard.

I mean seriously, of all the things to whine and complain and stamp your feet about it’s combat animations?

" Well I don’t want someone using an ability when I feel they shouldn’t so forget what they want even though it doesn’t even affect me since I can turn duel requests off.
Since I don’t want it no one should have it ever!" /crying tears etc etc

This is basically how this reads.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sleepcoma.9487

Sleepcoma.9487

I’d support an arena you could go to to duel someone, but not a system that allows you to duel anywhere you want. I already don’t like the huge groups waiting for dragon spawn timers, the last thing I want is impromptu fight club encouraging people to wait around these areas even more.

in Suggestions

nachtnebel.9168

I mean seriously, of all the things to whine and complain and stamp your feet about it’s combat animations?

" Well I don’t want someone using an ability when I feel they shouldn’t so forget what they want even though it doesn’t even affect me since I can turn duel requests off.

I’m not against duelling, you can have it in special arenas where you don’t annoy anyone. It’s a fair comprimise, if you want to duel you can go to an area and do it there, if you don’t want to get annyoed by duels you just don’t go there. Everybody wins.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Cause most of the players are scared they will get destroyed by experienced players. And that fps will be less then 5 in LA.

Actually I’m not scared of that at all. I’m just thinking of the general player type that enjoys dueling, compared to the general player type who plays games that I like to play. It’s a thought process.

People who like to challenge people randomly, for no reason, just for lulz aren’t my demographic of game player. I’m not interested, particularly, in playing with those people. It’s not the game I play.

I think if people were dueling in the streets, the Lionguard would come and arrest them. It’s immersion breaking on that level.

The costume brawl, on the other hand, is obviously a celebration. A free for all. Something that doesn’t just feed someone’s ego.

So yeah, it’s not about not being able to. It’s about the kind of player that kind of thing attracts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sleuth.7964

Sleuth.7964

I just can’t rap my mind around people who say “NO DUELING NO AND NO”. It’s absolutely necessary for a MMO to have it. The only reason why a person would say no to it in my opinion (which are hardy valid is).
1. GW2 who hate all MMO’s including WoW who say. "NO BECAUSE WoW HAS DUELING AND “I” DON’T WANT THIS GAME TO BE A WOW CLONE".

2. Players being just bad at this game and don’t like being beat along with being selfish honestly this is the only valid reason I can think of along with 1.

First of all people complain about messy areas and atmosphere why? You can’t even see anyone with the heavy culling they have in this game.

And yes if they add dueling OF COURSE they would add a auto decline option.

And why would people be mad in the first place? People spam their abilities and costume brawl all over the place and last time iv’e checked Iv’e seen no END COSTUME BRAWL threads at all.

I just don’t understand how people would say no to dueling in a freaking MMORPG they’res option to make it so you don’t need to duel it’s all OPTIONAL.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Actually I’m not scared of that at all. I’m just thinking of the general player type that enjoys dueling, compared to the general player type who plays games that I like to play. It’s a thought process.

People who like to challenge people randomly, for no reason, just for lulz aren’t my demographic of game player. I’m not interested, particularly, in playing with those people. It’s not the game I play.

I think if people were dueling in the streets, the Lionguard would come and arrest them. It’s immersion breaking on that level.

The costume brawl, on the other hand, is obviously a celebration. A free for all. Something that doesn’t just feed someone’s ego.

So yeah, it’s not about not being able to. It’s about the kind of player that kind of thing attracts.

I don’t care about duels and they would give you option to block duel request, but i’m not against them, let people duel in HotM at least, or some arenas in every major city.
They can call it celebration duel so you don’t mind.

in Suggestions

nachtnebel.9168

I just can’t rap my mind around people who say “NO DUELING NO AND NO”. It’s absolutely necessary for a MMO to have it.

No, it’s not, especially in MMOs that don’t balance for 1v1 situations.

in Suggestions

Aeonblade.8709

You are worried about people fighting in a game that want’s to turn it’s PvP into an eSport, but dueling for practice is right out? Maybe that’s how sPvP ended up so kittenty, the player’s giving Anet “advice”.

Like I said earlier, I don’t care about duels at all, but I still haven’t seen a good reason not to have them for those that want them.

in Suggestions

ShiningSquirrel.3751

There have been many reasons, and many suggestions made. The main issue is this has been talked about to death. Players have already gone over and over the different reasons and different compromises proposed in many threads in many sub forums. Myself, at this point, I just do not feel like going over the whole discussion again for the umpteenth time. If you really want to know, read the forums instead of starting new threads. Asking the same question over and over and expecting to get a different answer is usually thought of as a sign of insanity.

Here is just one of the other threads to get you started.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Players-Want-Duels

in Suggestions

Aeonblade.8709

There have been many reasons, and many suggestions made. The main issue is this has been talked about to death. Players have already gone over and over the different reasons and different compromises proposed in many threads in many sub forums. Myself, at this point, I just do not feel like going over the whole discussion again for the umpteenth time. If you really want to know, read the forums instead of starting new threads. Asking the same question over and over and expecting to get a different answer is usually thought of as a sign of insanity.

I’m not sure if this was directed at me or not, so I’m going to skip the small novel. If it’s the same reasons that are being gone over in this thread, then they are going to have to do better than that.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

I just can’t rap my mind around people who say “NO DUELING NO AND NO”. It’s absolutely necessary for a MMO to have it.

No, it’s not, especially in MMOs that don’t balance for 1v1 situations.

Really well I remember playing WvWvW and I would go jumping puzzle. We would add opposite team to party and we would duel. There was NO issue and NO balancing problems who won was the person who evaded better and played outright better. So I don’t see how your comment relates to GW2. And sure they’res bad balancing but there always will be in a MMO all triple A titles suffer from this too its a outgoing problem. And again if you don’t want to duel because of balancing. Let the rest of us, you don’t have to or are forced to in anyway to do so.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

This. Leave Goldshire to Blizzard.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

It’s absolutely necessary for a MMO to have it.

No, it’s not.

in Suggestions

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I’m not sure if this was directed at me or not, so I’m going to skip the small novel. If it’s the same reasons that are being gone over in this thread, then they are going to have to do better than that.

Sorry, I am not going to read the forums to you. If you can’t take the time to read them yourself, then you are in the wrong place.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

No, it’s not.

Ok, ok, let me word it differently. Its absolutely necessary for an MMO to have it if it wan’ts to be taken seriously. Because many people don’t take this game seriously for reasons such as this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

Yes, if there is an option like “never accept duel” so people don’t bother you when you hate duels.

+1 to this.

It should be in the mist . Little special area for duals to happen.

I don’t think that is a good idea. SPvP players can already go to an empty server, or in the future a guild server or similar to do duels and such.
WvW and PvE players won’t be able to get the stats they want in the SPvP area though.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

in Suggestions

Aeonblade.8709

Sorry, I am not going to read the forums to you. If you can’t take the time to read them yourself, then you are in the wrong place.

No one asked you to, and I’m not going to read a 5 page long old thread when there is a new thread right here. If you don’t like the conversation, go post somewhere else and leave this one to people who would actually like to discuss addition of content rather than putting down other people because they have different ideas than you.

Thanks.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

No, it’s not.

Ok, ok, let me word it differently. Its absolutely necessary for an MMO to have it if it wan’ts to be taken seriously. Because many people don’t take this game seriously for reasons such as this.

Bwahahaha.

Tarnished Coast

in Suggestions

Vayne.8563

No, it’s not.

The very people who don’t take this game seriously because it doesn’t have dueling are the very people we don’t need in this community.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

No it isn’t but let’s continue with this post…

The only reason why a person would say no to it in my opinion (which are hardy valid is).
1. GW2 who hate all MMO’s including WoW who say. "NO BECAUSE WoW HAS DUELING AND “I” DON’T WANT THIS GAME TO BE A WOW CLONE".

2. Players being just bad at this game and don’t like being beat along with being selfish honestly this is the only valid reason I can think of along with 1.

Or you could go with #3: Some players tire of the PVP idea and want a cooperative play game where the idea isn’t to beat down fellow players but explore and enjoy a world with them.

I play other games with PvP and PvE, for me PvE wins out every time. I want to explore stories and the world developers have created. If I want to bash someone in then I have PvP specific games that serve this purpose. The stories may suck or be non-existent but I’m not there for that.

GW2 already has a PvP area and I don’t mind dueling being there. In fact they should give you the ability to duel in areas much like Black Citadel or the Grove, but it doesn’t make sense to muddle PvP in PvE areas when we already have spots for them.

So my question for PvP’ers is why this demand to PvP in a area which isn’t built for PvP? Why have this desire to push that form of gameplay like that? If you want bigger maps or a different WvWvW field that’s fine, but it isn’t like the PvE players are suddenly demanding open limits on exploring a PvP area. There’s no need. So there’s no need for PvP in PvE areas.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Suggestions

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

No.

If its voluntary I guess it would be ok, as long as there’s an option to always decline/opt out of it. Would prefer it to be only in certain areas if it was added.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Suggestions

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Yes, in one place and one place only.

The Charr Arena!

Charricus Maximus 4tw!

The thing is already an instance, so with the added spectator mode functionality ANet could get creative.
If they wouldn´t be occupied with all kinds of other “more important” stuff.

Polish > hype

in Suggestions

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

DUELS= YES
Just create option reject all duels and pve noobs will be happy . I ask why no ? Duels are good, you can practice waiting for tournament,dragon etc . Remember that Guild wars was designed as pvp game and you refuse pvp content what the hell ?! I think you should be able to duel everywhere . When you accept duel request your skills ,traits change to pvp one and that`s it , fight .

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Yes, but you should come to an instance or something… Seriously, people fighting all over the world would be annoying as kitten

in Suggestions

Vayne.8563

You are worried about people fighting in a game that want’s to turn it’s PvP into an eSport, but dueling for practice is right out? Maybe that’s how sPvP ended up so kittenty, the player’s giving Anet “advice”.

Like I said earlier, I don’t care about duels at all, but I still haven’t seen a good reason not to have them for those that want them.

No. Because those people are in the mists. The WvW people. They’re in the mists. The PvE world was designed to be a cooperative experience. With the exception of the costume brawl, which no one can take seriously, and can’t be done where there are creatures anyway because you get kicked out of it, those people are segregated from others.

You do realize that PVPers don’t like carebears and vice/versa. Not all of course, but enough to cause problems. I’m happy for PvPers to have their own game in their own area. I’d love for them to have dueling there as well. That’s fine. Because I don’t have to deal with the stupidity in map chat because of it. Or players whispering me why don’t I accept their duel request.

The bottom line is, Anet has done a great job of segregating two groups of players, some of which want completely different things. To keep the peace, it’s better if these groups stay separated.

And when I want to beat up some other players, which does happen from time to time, I’ll go into SPvP, or more like WvW.