Reboot the Base Map Mechanic & Population

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Diku the problem with that is then you will need about 50k players to be able to defend 4 maps + attack 12maps.

in WvW

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

Personally I think server transfers should always be free, but should have a pretty hefty cooldown like 1-3 months type thing. That way if all your friends quit, or your server doesn’t work for your time zone anymore, you can move.

But I agree WvW needs help. It’s hard to maintain enough people for 24/7 battles.

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

@Shadow

Battle is very dynamic. People will not sit in a Globe & wait for attacks.

The Globe based design allows players to pick 1-3 Globes to attack for the week that gets reset weekly.

The Globe based design allows players from 24 NA Globes & 27 EU Globes to move fluidly across all Globes.

The only restriction to being the 1-3 Globe Limit for players. This number that can be adjusted to 1 Globe if necessary by ANet to prevent un-fair matches. Also helps to keep players from gaming the system.

The Best Defense requires Better Offense.

Each Home Globe will be shown in Random Order…the Top 3 Globes attacking them.

A typical strategy to stop Enemies from attacking you…is that you attack them.

New Base Map Mechanic allows your Home Globe to team up with friends in other Globes to beat the snot out of the Enemy attacking your Home Globe.

This is where we will get dynamic Match-Ups which the Old Tier based system doesn’t allow.

The New Map Mechanic was done this way to promote this cycle.

Globes that want to stop fighting can, but they will drop in Rank.

When they stop fighting…the Enemy Globe attacking them will get a new list for their Top 3 Globes attacking them.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Coyote

Keep in mind. Globes are Labeled after a Time Zone. This Time Zone Mechanic is only a Label.

Communities Form around this Label.

Severe Server stacking isn’t such a huge issue as players pick Home Globes based on the Community that Forms around the Time Zone Label that is near them.

Also, there is a Language Option mechanic…it helps properly Label the Community that forms for each Globe.

New Players before choosing a Globe…are shown the Language preference distribution of the population…primary & secondary Languages selected by players for the Globe.

Label Mechanics Do Not prevent players from doing anything in WvW. Time Zone & Language Option only Label a Globe for players to know what they’re choosing for their Home.

Also, Time Zone Label can be changed by the Globe’s Population during an Annual Voting Event in case demographics later change.

Local & International Communities Form around Globes using these Labels.

WvW is 24/7

Battles can fluidly move across All Globes.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: DemiGodKlvus.2648

DemiGodKlvus.2648

doesnt sound too bad

Im Most Likely Better Than You
Just Saying <3

in WvW

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

This is a different approach.

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Bump +1
/15 chars

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Weli.4568

Weli.4568

In my opinion having 3 home maps + EB is too much, there simply isn’t effective way to defend all 4 of them. Considering all of 4 of them can be attacked by pretty much anyone. To add the attackers will be on the same side which means youll always be underpowered if defending. That said in my opinion the amount of home maps should be left at one, maximum of 2 to even have a chance at defending what is yours while keeping offensive presence on enemy maps.

Otherwise it is a good idea but still needs tweaking on some parts. Like why not keep the name servers as from what i understood nothing would really change compared to globes.

Scatter the Weak [WK], Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]
Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: eXruina.4956

eXruina.4956

To be honest, I believe a simple merging of servers would suffice in fixing our problems with WvW.. It’ll be rough at first and would probably feel like a hard reset.. but will eventually balance itself out in the ladder. =)

Nonetheless there are a lot of innovative ideas in there and it would be nice to see some good ideas put to use, as long as “everyone finds a place they belong” (ranging from competitive gaming to casual roaming and squirrels) then two thumbs up.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@eXruina,

You brought up an interesting topic. We could see if the WvW Community would be intersted in expanding it. I’m setting up this sub-topic thread to continue this discussion in detail here to keep the parent thread on topic about Reboot Base Map Mechanic & Population.

WvW Merge Servers or Create Globes
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Merge-Servers-or-Create-Globes/first#post5822102

Appreciate your feedback & looking forward to this discussion with you & the WvW Community.

Diku

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Weli

We have a discussion about Maps that does propose to reduce the number of maps.

Please consider adding your thoughts to the below Topic thread.

WvW Alpine or Desert if Base Map Rebooted
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Alpine-or-Desert-if-Base-Map-Rebooted/first#post5799502

Swapping in, out or mixing maps is possible with this New Base Map Mechanic.

Only ANet would know the answer to how much development this would entail, and if it would be feasible.

Special Thank you for their feedback going to – LetoII & Wolfric

Suggested Combinations or Map Rotations:

1) Three Alpine Borderland Maps + EB / Simple Event / Manual Upgrades

2) Two Borderland Maps + EotM

3) Alpine + reworked EB + Desert / No Laser / No Auto-Upgrade

4) Alpine + reworked 1/2 Desert + reworked EotM

5) Original Alpine borderland with lake + Eternal Battlegrounds

6) Fixed new map (less complex) + EB + Old map without lake no EotM

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: GUN EM DOWN.4078

GUN EM DOWN.4078

+1 we have nothing to lose

Buff black chick | Esportsmanship | pref my eggs kicked | big black glock | peekaboo stance

the original dab daddy

in WvW

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

+1 better mechanism than current by far

in WvW

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

Interesting for sure!

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

in WvW

Posted by: MaLeVoLenT.8129

MaLeVoLenT.8129

This is interesting and a great idea. However, ArenaNet isn’t going to do anything with this because they’ve already started with their plans to overhaul the entire system. This has been 1 year in the works and for them to further rehash their system again would take them a year +. We simply don’t have that time.

If anything they can nitpick ideas from this to make their system better. But the idea of Globs and a glob having 3 borderlands is for sure a good idea but one that’s greatly out of scope for what they already have in store for us.

~The Mad Court~ [OnS]Onslaught GM
Malevolent Omen -Guardian
Mad King Mal -Rev

in WvW

Posted by: AnniMira.2506

AnniMira.2506

I want something simple: When I enter EB, the game would put me to (virtual)server which has most players and at least one spot for me. Server would not matter; team color would not matter. Preference for server which has blue commander tag.

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

To me, any successful WvW overhaul would need to shift the core focus of WvW from ppt/score to the aspect of WvW the majority of players enjoy the most: the combat. Objectives and siege are just mechanisms to get fights.

How does your proposal achieve this?

Anything else, no matter how good it is, will ultimately fail as ppt/score does not and cannot retain players. The past three years clearly show this. Additionally, Anet needs to fess up and close low pop servers. Server stacking happens because people want to join active servers. And having 24 NA and 27 EU “globes” each with 4 maps (totaling 204 maps) is just going to exacerbate this. Everybody is going to coalesce around less than a dozen “globes” in each region leaving everything else empty.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@AnniMira

What you’re asking for is Megaserver & EotM if I’m not mistaken.

You can join this discussion here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Dissolve-Servers-Embrace-Megaserver/first#post5796753

I can’t support an idea that uses Megaserver or System controlled Alliances which is New WvW…that ANet is moving to. You should be very happy if that’s what you were asking about. ANet is moving WvW in that direction & this proposal is not for you.

This proposal & discussion is for all the players who support & believe:

Server/Globe identity encourages a Strong Sense of Community & Hard Fought Rivalries.

The new system being planned that automatically manipulates match-ups on behalf of the players will do this poorly in my opinion.

ANet is missing the enormous opportunity to create the next NFL of eSport.

Server/Globe identity core would allow fans to not only cheer for their Home Team during the Superbowl, but to also play in it themselves.

I prefer Classic WvW that has server/globe based identity at its core.

This proposal in its most simplest form is below. Sorry it’s too complicated.

Please…Reboot the Base Map Mechanic

Players choose 1 Globe to represent.

Old Servers are Transformed into Globes.

Globes are re-named after their Old World Server’s Name.

Each Globe owns 4 maps in WvW.

Players can enter any Globe from a list of all NA and EU Globes.

Players will have a limit on how many globes they can enter per week.

ANet can change in a single setting how many Globes that ALL players can enter per week to prevent un-fair matches, and to stop players from trying to game the system.

Limit can vary from 1-3 Globes.

Home team is shown in random order the Top 3 Enemies attacking them to help them target who to attack.

Please…Reboot the Current Population

All Players are allowed to return to their Old Server transformed into New Globe.

Reboot allows Communities to re-form around Time Zone & Language.

Time Zone & Language helps to Label the Globe Community that forms there.

It helps players choose the right Globe to call Home.

Also, the Globe’s population is annually asked at a Voting Event if they want to change their Time Zone Label.

Time Zone & Language DOES NOT prevent players from joining any Globe.

I don’t get the Globe Concept…please explain:

Currently. When you enter WvW. You enter a World Server based map.

You see 4 Maps.

Server A – Owns Green BL
Server B – Owns Red BL
Server C – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

New Globe. When you enter WvW. You enter a Globe based map.

Globe A
Server A – Owns Green BL
Server A – Owns Red BL
Server A – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe B
Server B – Owns Green BL
Server B – Owns Red BL
Server B – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe C
Server C – Owns Green BL
Server C – Owns Red BL
Server C – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe D – Z
Not going to repeat the above for each Globe

Players from Globe A

Can always fight in their Home Globe A

Can fight in Enemy Globes B-Z

Player Picks Globe B & fights there
Player Picks Globe M & fights there
Player Picks Globe Z & fights there

Player Picks Globe C, but can’t enter it because they’ve reached the Globe limit of 3.

Player can only fight in Globe B, M, Z for the week until the Globe limit resets the following week.

ANet can increase or decrease this Weekly number of Globes a player can go to. The range is 1-3 Globes per week.

ANet can prevent un-fair match-ups by doing this.

Players are free to pick & choose to fight in any Globe up to the Weekly Globe Limit.

Players can meet up with friends on a Shared Enemy Globe & be Allies fighting together.

The Globe based design allows players to pick 1-3 Globes to attack for the week that gets reset weekly.

The Globe based design allows players from 24 NA Globes & 27 EU Globes to move fluidly across all Globes.

The only restriction to being the 1-3 Globe Limit for players. This number that can be adjusted to 1 Globe if necessary by ANet to prevent un-fair matches. Also helps to keep players from gaming the system.

New Base Map Mechanic allows your Home Globe to team up with friends in other Globes to beat the snot out of the Enemy attacking your Home Globe.

This is where we will get dynamic Match-Ups which the Old Tier based system doesn’t allow.

When they stop fighting…the Enemy Globe attacking them will get a new list for their Top 3 Globes attacking them.

Time Zone & Language Options are confusing…please explain:

Keep in mind. Globes are Labeled after a Time Zone. This Time Zone Mechanic is only a Label.

Severe Server stacking isn’t such a huge issue as players pick Home Globes based on the Community that Forms around the Time Zone Label that is near them.

Also, there is a Language Option mechanic…it helps properly Label the Community that forms for each Globe.

New Players before choosing a Globe…are shown the Language preference distribution of the population…primary & secondary Languages selected by players for the Globe.

Label Mechanics Do Not prevent players from doing anything in WvW. Time Zone & Language Option only Label a Globe for players to know what they’re choosing for their Home.

Also, Time Zone Label can be changed by the Globe’s Population during an Annual Voting Event in case demographics later change.

WvW is 24/7

Note to developers:

This Reboot of Base Map Mechanic & Population is flexible enough to work with the Old Alpine Map or New Desert Map.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

+1 there is no everything to everyone system for wvw, but this is significantly better than the current state.

Osu

in WvW

Posted by: primatos.5413

primatos.5413

+1 save wvw plz

Lügen-Anet Anet-Lügen

in WvW

Posted by: herzeleid.3719

herzeleid.3719

Very interesting idea and a lot better than what we have now!

I too – like some of the above posters – think that having 3 Borderlands is too much though. I guess with being able to fight against “every” server, it would be enough to have only one “homeland” (aka home-borderland map). So deffing becomes a lot more interesting too. (Dolyaks and upgrading keeps would have to be more important in my opinion though)

That would almost be like “declaring war” to some other server/globe! And you could just roam whereever you like to.

In order to do that there would have to be some UI / Globe/serverwide communication tool though. Like a map channel for WvW/Globe that would be visible even if you do PVE or whatever (just like a seperate guild channel) – and maybe a special UI, so you know which worlds you have declared war on.

Some fights would probably turn out unfair, or some homelands might just get crushed… but hey, that’s real WvW!! I’d rather get demolished than having no fights at all, as is the case now!

Supported!

in WvW

Diku.2546

@herzeleid

Thank you for your feedback.

Since players first appear in 1 of 3 Colored corners of the Eternal Battle Map in WvW with this proposal.

It’s interesting to see that swapping, mixing, or reducing the number of Borderland maps used is really possible, but I’m not sure if it’s feasible from a programming viewpoint that ANet has to do.

Detailed topic being discussed here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Alpine-or-Desert-if-Base-Map-Rebooted/first#post5799502

Map Channel & Team Channel currently used in WvW can be used as is. Invaders on a Shared Enemy Globe are naturally allied & can use Map or Team Channel.

@runeblade

Changed – Upgrade Objectives Manually Triggers to give purpose & value to Roaming players.

Part III – Expanded Details of Major Mechanics and Triggers Updated from v35 to v36

…Guilds can Claim 1-3 objective per map – ANet can adjust number

…Counter-Weight – Upgrade Despawn with a Decay Timer – ANet can adjust timer

…Upgrade Objectives Mannually Triggered – Borderland maps are Free for Home Team

…Upgrade Objectives Mannually Triggered – Borderlands maps will Cost Gold for Enemy Team

…Upgrade Objectives Mannually Triggered – Eternal Battle map will Cost Gold for Home & Enemy Team

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Diku.2546

in WvW

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Clearly a lot of thinking has gone into this proposal.

I think whatever revamp is done for WvW, the worst case scenario is totally empty maps. So optimizing around ensuring that you don’t have players playing WvW by themselves for long stretches is probably the most important point.

Currently, there are times where I can login to WvW and even do all my dailies and never see anyone

in WvW

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

It’s quite strange being PM’ed to respond to a thread, especially as I’m not particularly active in the WvW forum. I also find it a little odd to see requests for ‘rewards’ for coming up with the idea. IMO, having my idea implemented would be reward enough for me.

I’ll respond as requested, but not to support the idea, which quite frankly I’m not too keen on. There are much better ideas floating around to fix WvW, IMO.

I’ll be honest though and say that I’ve not read the rest of the thread, some of my points may have already been made, others may have been altered or modified.

1. The NA and EU regions are split because they are in different data-centres. You can’t magically merge them together. They cannot play on the same maps, without needing to store all of the information for every character in both data-centres, and to be constantly replicating data between them. That constant replication between EU and US of all character data in real time, would be incredibly expensive and lead to bugs caused by replication errors.

2. I would rather fight ‘against’ players in my time-zone, that with them. However I know that large numbers prefer to be in an overpowered zerg. This would just lead to scenarios where players pick 3 time-zones that are going to have lower resistance, in order to get easy captures.

3. If my server owns all the borderlands, why do we still need 3 of them. IMO 2 borderlands (one alpine, the other Desert) would make more sense.

4. Picking which servers to fight will just lead to issues of certain ‘unliked’ servers being ganged up on. Might be fun for the bullies, but wont be fun for the players on those servers.

5. How are globes supposed to ‘ally’ with other globes if players are restricted to the number of globes they can attack in a week? If my globe has 2 allies, and I’m limited to fighting on 3 fronts, then all I can do is defend my own globe and my allies. No offensive play at all. Or I can attack and not defend my allies. What if I have 3 allies? What if my allies are not under attack during the time I play? This whole idea doesn’t make any real sense.

6. Low ranked worlds (or worlds with low populations) are protected and allowed to survive? Huh? I thought one of the points was to close low population realms? Why ‘protect’ worlds that need to be closed? Also, what If I’m on a low pop world and like defending, how can I defend if my world is protected?

7. 5 globes for NA, 4 globes for Africa, 3 for Australia, but just 1 for Asia?? Where are getting you population figures from. You can’t divide the player population up neatly be Time-zone. Some time-zones have a much bigger player-base than others. African globes will be almost empty and the NA globes will be overfilled.

8. This turns WvW into attacker vs defender, a two way battle, rather than a three-way. Three way battles are better for computer games because they lead to more interesting outcomes (look up the rule of threes). Plus all the maps are designed for three way combat.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

(edited by Kaz.5430)

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

They can reboot the maps, but they can’t reboot the players now. It’s going to take the “mother load” update with all the bells and whistles to make players come back or care.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Kaz

Thank you for your honesty & feedback.

Sorry, but I’m desperately trying to save the Classic WvW that I’ve fallen in love with.

Sorry for being odd. There’s many, many, many ideas floating around.

I’m sure there are many, many, many other ideas better organized, so please support whichever idea that makes you happy.

I think you’re misunderstanding this idea.

The below is a summary of the idea.

Really appreciate your feedback, but I hope it helps explain some of the points that you’ve made.

I’ll have to appologize in advance if this proposal doesn’t resolve all the points that you’ve made.

Hope this makes better sense, if not then I hope you’ll consider finding another idea to support that can save the Classic WvW…that I believe is slowly fading away from my gaming memory.

Please Click & Open the below Spoilers…hopefully some of your answers will be found there for you. We may not agree on everything, but I hope we can at least agree that we like to game.

Your truly,
Diku

Base Map Mechanic & Globe Concept

Base Map Mechanic

ANet can change in a single setting how many Globes that ALL players can enter per week to prevent un-fair matches, and to stop players from trying to game the system.

Home team is shown in random order the Top 3 Enemies attacking them to help them target who to attack.

Globe Concept

You see 4 Maps.

Server A – Owns Green BL
Server B – Owns Red BL
Server C – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe A
Server A – Owns Green BL
Server A – Owns Red BL
Server A – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe B
Server B – Owns Green BL
Server B – Owns Red BL
Server B – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe C
Server C – Owns Green BL
Server C – Owns Red BL
Server C – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe D – Z

Players from Globe A

Player Picks Globe C, but can’t enter it because they’ve reached the Globe limit of 3.

Player can only fight in Globe B, M, Z for the week until the Globe limit resets the following week.

ANet can increase or decrease this Weekly number of Globes a player can go to. The range is 1-3 Globes per week.

Players are free to pick & choose to fight in any Globe up to the Weekly Globe Limit.

Players can meet up with friends on a Shared Enemy Globe & be Allies fighting together.

Population Reboot & Time Zone/Language Label

Population Reboot

All Players are allowed to return to their Old Server transformed into New Globe.

Also, the Globe’s population is annually asked at a Voting Event if they want to change their Time Zone Label.

Time Zone/Language Label

WvW is 24/7

Borderland Maps – Mix, Swap, or Reduce

Since players first appear in 1 of 3 Colored corners of the Eternal Battle Map in WvW with this proposal.

It’s interesting to see that mixing, swapping, or reducing the number of Borderland maps used is really possible, but I’m not sure if it’s feasible from a programming standpoint.

Portals & Spawn Points

…Players entering WvW from PvE or PvP start in the Red Corner of Eternal Battle for Home Globe. WvW map Portals grant access to 4 Destinations

…1) Lions Arch
…2) Red corner of Eternal Battle for Home Globe
…3) Green corner of Eternal Battle Map of Any World Globe
…4) Blue corner of Eternal Battle Map of Any World Globe

…Choosing the Green or Blue Portal will now prompt players to pick from a list of All World Globes on Weekly Reset.

…Choosing the Green or Blue Portal will give players a customized list based on their Weekly choices & ANet’s enforced Guesting limit after Weekly Reset.

…Map travel using the (M)ap shortcut key allows simple travel to spawn points within a chosen World Globe.

Note to developers:

This Reboot of Base Map Mechanic & Population is flexible enough to work with the Old Alpine Map or New Desert Map.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Swagger

I’m more concerned with fixing the Base Map Mechanics that got us in this mess in the first place.

I’ll worry about attracting the WvW population back later.

Diku

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Hi Diku – a lot of effort went into your thread. I applaud you for taking the time, effort, and attention to detail. If nothing comes from it I only can hope Arena Net, as a company, sees how much some people care about the format of play. I think that is very important for them to look at and what I think is often misunderstood.

I’ll also agree with the person, forget their name, who said they paid $100 dollars for the expansion (yes, we could have paid basic 50 bucks) for something so lack luster. I’ll add to the fact that since the expansion has come out my play time has been maybe 25% of what it was pre expansion pack and the reason is Druid, Rev, WvW, and the whole mastery system vs. maps. In addition to that means no gem purchases nor any of my 3 children whom play asked Santa for gem cards (this is a first!). So, take that for what it is worth.

My point I guess is that server pride and playing with friends is a tough nut to crack. A bit of back ground I come from a game that started the WvW format of play, DaOC. I played that up through Trials of Atlantis in which I completed all 10 master levels. If any of you have played that I think you can see what happened once they introduced PvE to a PvP centric game And how the master levels impacted those who had master levels, how high, and their impact on RvR – roams to zergs. GW2 has similar issues more so around:

1. Server populations
2. Wall clock coverage 24×7
3. Wonky match-ups that some servers just can’t go any higher – stale week after week
4. Balance – traits being neutered between formats of play

I believe you covered and discussed my concerns which is why I believe you are at least raising a very important topic one can only hope gets attention. Some of the things I’d like to see addressed, if not mentioned in your thread(s) is:

1. GW2 game wide player portal that focuses on WvW. List top guilds, players, and of course by class. Top 25 or 50 is fine, search yields the rest. Weekly, resets monthly or so. This gives players bragging rights and could help the overall server pride dilemma and creates a ladder if you will. Can also list other basic stats such as kills, deaths, type of death (fall, height) among other things. Get creative, make it fun, people will play.

2. Alliances. This could help somewhat with the server populations. You can already join x number of guilds. Expand the format and make it an alliance. Restrict to one though. Alliances can portal to server the alliance is created on. Plain and simple, allows small guilds or servers to recruit and gain players. Also creates some political drama.

3. Remove EoTM map. Great idea but it really isn’t anything more than a place to gain karma, WvW ranks, and level alts. Honestly, the bill of goods that was originally sold missed the boat in that it was a sand box for change. Well, if truth be told you are removing a good portion of the WvW player base by having this map. In fact, it actually dilutes any WvW accomplishments such as ranks.

4. Fix obsidian sanctum. Great idea having the jump puzzles. Great mechanics with traps and rewards. However change has destroyed them. You removed requirement for map complete, removed the placement of siege, and finally made it an area with an arena (good intent) but not much happens past that turn. I don’t get this map at all anymore and what kills me is that you spent money on it to begin with

5. Swap new BL map(s) with EBG and replace old maps. Some servers can, others can’t, field players in both places. Something we, Ebay, are facing now. DH can field 2 70 person raids and we can field 25 at best. Point is, BL maps are too big and it needs to change. If it was me I would swap the maps around and replace like I mentioned but the change is all players must enter the BL map first. That is the only entrance to WvW. Passing through BL map, taking supply camps, then through main gate to new map. Passage, control, choke points. All maps have activity because to get to the new, you must first pass through old. And the roamers, scouts, HAVOC, and other players can maneuver through BL’s to aid and add value. Think of it as supply chain. Just a thought.

In summary – like what you are thinking there OP. It needs attention and I’d support the changes. Just need some more discussion on server and/or player pride.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Crapgame

Hmm…I’ll try my best to address your concerns.

Diku

1) Bragging rights – aka Leaderboards can be found here:
https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvw

2) “Verbal” Alliances are possible with this New Map Mechanic as players are allowed to team up on any shared Enemy Globe.

3) Not removing EotM. It should be left in place as a waiting room to the Main Event of playing WvW.

EotM Map implemented without WvW Rewards (i.e. Badges of Honor, WXP, WvW Achievements, Ascended Equipment, etc.)

4) I never thought about Obsidian Sanctum. My personal opinion is to leave it in place. Main Event WvW needs TLC first…then we should look at improving Obsidian Sanctum afterwards.

5) I’m only encouraging 3 BL & Eternal Battle only because it’s probably the least physical change to the WvW map solution choice.

Suggested Combinations or Map Rotations are being asked for in this sub-topic:

Classic WvW – Server pride is a HUGE Concern for me.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Classic-WvW-Consumer-New-WvW-Consumer/first#post5811996

I want WvW Community to know that this proposal totally preserves it.

Label Mechanics Do Not prevent players from doing anything in WvW.

Time Zone & Language Option only Label a Globe for players to know what they’re choosing for their Home.

Server/Globe identity encourages a Strong Sense of Community & Hard Fought Rivalries when we let players pick their Allies & Enemies themselves…when Mechanics are in place to prevent un-fair match-ups

Any system that automatically manipulates match-ups on behalf of the players will do this poorly in my opinion.

Server/Globe identity core would allow fans to not only cheer for their Home Team during the Superbowl, but to also play in it themselves.

ANet is really missing the enormous opportunity to create the next NFL SuperBowl of eSport…imho.

Thanks for your feedback. Really appreciate it.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

That isn’t the type of leader board I’m talking about. WvW has a ranking system although it is skewed by boosts and Edge of the Mist. Leader boards, for those familiar with DaOC, list all characters, guilds, and alliances and search capable. The main portal lists the top 25 players weekly to include alliances, guilds, and classes.

The leader board you listed is not very good if I must speak truthfully and has very little detail. My point is that Arena Net already has the data they just need to present it in ways that are meaningful and fun. What was linked or that most of us already know pales in comparison to other MMO or Player vs. Player games.

Edit: Note that leaderboards or ranks, if you want them to mean anything, must be pertinent to the format of play. They can’t be tainted by other maps and/or boosts. Example the Dragon Finisher. When you see it you know the person who did the finisher is rank 80 in sPvP. Could mean a grind, could mean they are good and/or above average. But you knew what it meant. Today when I see a silver or platinum enemy in WvW I just shrug it off since it doesn’t mean anything just like the abilities that are gained by them. Just a thought.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

(edited by Crapgame.6519)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Crapgame,

I’ve setup a sub-topic thread here to continue this discussion in detail here:

WvW LeaderBoard Portal
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-LeaderBoard-Portal/first#post5832478

Thank you for your feedback.

Diku

in WvW

Posted by: tichai.4351

tichai.4351

I will support this if only for the amount of thought and effort you have put into it.

Reading some of the comments it is clear too many people cannot or will not look past their own interests and see a bigger picture and this attitude has as much to do with the demise of WvW as anything Anet has done.

The only common theme is WvW is dying and if the players cannot come together and work out a way to save it then we may as well quit now.

This is a major proposal and needs some positive input and tweaking but I fear it will go unrewarded.

One minor change in the first instance would be to change ‘Globes’ to something more meaningful in a game setting, Realm/World/Kingdom/Universe? As I say, a small thing but given the fickle nature of gamers it is a ‘disconnect’ from the game as we know it.

Scrub Guardian [CHvc]
Gunnar’s Hold www.gunnarshold.eu

in WvW

Diku.2546

@tichai

Thank you for your feedback & support. It’s players like you that makes this effort not in vain.

In answer to your minor tweak. Let me give you a little background.

Early in creating this proposal I realized that players tend to get confused very easily.

Imagine trying to explain the Globe Concept as World or Server Concept.

The word Globe was originally chosen to allow players to mentally break away from the current Tier & World Server based Concept.

Globe was also chosen because it at least retained the meaning of World…that this game mode is named after…and it was a short & easy word to say.

Ok…please…no jokes about GvG. The WvW Community should come together in a positive way, but often chooses not to.

I agree with you that people should look past their own interests & see the bigger picture.

My Plea to WvW Community to come up with an Alternative to this Globe Proposal:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Dissolve-Servers-Embrace-Megaserver/first#post5798364

I’d really like to see other positive proposals, but sadly…the past history of ANet will rub a lot of players in this WvW Community the wrong way.

They do have reason to be upset. As a few have pointed out…the WvW Community is like a pack of starved hungry wolves.

Do not go into the cage with them to feed them.

Long story short…If ANet does ever changes things…we could call Globes whatever players want. We could make a special thread & discuss this again in the future…if there is one.

To the many WvW players that are supporting this proposal.

Fist Bump

Updated the 1st post to have it, but wanted to share this with the WvW Community that already read the 1st post.

It’s cheesy, but I’m pretty desperate…and in need of a laugh.

The WvW Community here is a rough crowd to keep amused & entertained. They bite when you least expect it.

NeverEnding Story…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUttwzazq30

CALL MY NAME!!!

You’re Classic WvW…sobs…save our World ANet.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

It’s quite strange being PM’ed to respond to a thread, especially as I’m not particularly active in the WvW forum. I also find it a little odd to see requests for ‘rewards’ for coming up with the idea. IMO, having my idea implemented would be reward enough for me.

I’ll respond as requested, but not to support the idea, which quite frankly I’m not too keen on. There are much better ideas floating around to fix WvW, IMO.

I’ll be honest though and say that I’ve not read the rest of the thread, some of my points may have already been made, others may have been altered or modified.

1. The NA and EU regions are split because they are in different data-centres. You can’t magically merge them together. They cannot play on the same maps, without needing to store all of the information for every character in both data-centres, and to be constantly replicating data between them. That constant replication between EU and US of all character data in real time, would be incredibly expensive and lead to bugs caused by replication errors.

2. I would rather fight ‘against’ players in my time-zone, that with them. However I know that large numbers prefer to be in an overpowered zerg. This would just lead to scenarios where players pick 3 time-zones that are going to have lower resistance, in order to get easy captures.

3. If my server owns all the borderlands, why do we still need 3 of them. IMO 2 borderlands (one alpine, the other Desert) would make more sense.

4. Picking which servers to fight will just lead to issues of certain ‘unliked’ servers being ganged up on. Might be fun for the bullies, but wont be fun for the players on those servers.

5. How are globes supposed to ‘ally’ with other globes if players are restricted to the number of globes they can attack in a week? If my globe has 2 allies, and I’m limited to fighting on 3 fronts, then all I can do is defend my own globe and my allies. No offensive play at all. Or I can attack and not defend my allies. What if I have 3 allies? What if my allies are not under attack during the time I play? This whole idea doesn’t make any real sense.

6. Low ranked worlds (or worlds with low populations) are protected and allowed to survive? Huh? I thought one of the points was to close low population realms? Why ‘protect’ worlds that need to be closed? Also, what If I’m on a low pop world and like defending, how can I defend if my world is protected?

7. 5 globes for NA, 4 globes for Africa, 3 for Australia, but just 1 for Asia?? Where are getting you population figures from. You can’t divide the player population up neatly be Time-zone. Some time-zones have a much bigger player-base than others. African globes will be almost empty and the NA globes will be overfilled.

8. This turns WvW into attacker vs defender, a two way battle, rather than a three-way. Three way battles are better for computer games because they lead to more interesting outcomes (look up the rule of threes). Plus all the maps are designed for three way combat.

I find myself agreeing with most you say, so allow me to elaborate on the things that really deserve discussion.

Points 2 and 4 seemed related to me. Indeed. If they implement a ‘choose what world to attack’ feature, we can’t expect people not to pick the worlds that can’t defend themselves. People will do what they can do (even if it undermines the game quality, as we’ve seen in karmatrains), so if you bring this kind of ‘globe’ system it will have to get a lot of restrictions imposed on it, which makes it in turn a lot less attractive compared to other systems.

Point 3. I would even go so far as to say – globes will not work with current maps. A proposal I think has a lot of merit is, instead of world servers(current) or globes(Diku), one proposing to make a PvP-version of the game that allows people to fight in the existing world maps. Make existing garrisons/fortresses capturable by guilds, and make guilds defend them. How many versions of this world map there should be is entirely relative to the amount of people who would play on them of course.

Point 4. The ally system as Diku proposes makes things needlessly complex in my opinion. It faces the problems you mentioned, and my own reaction would be – why not make alliances guild-based, and why even make globes then? Couldn’t guild-based alliances be the central unit in WvW?

Point 6. I can see the logic in trying to prevent low pop servers being crushed week after week, but such an artificial restriction would be unattractive, so maybe instead of making a system to requires restrictions, build one that does not need them in the first place?

Point 8. Another valid idea, and again I would think open-world guild alliances would be a lot more succesful on this. This globe system making it attack other globes/defend your own globe. It might seem interesting at first, but I am afraid it will get tiresome really fast, lacking the versatility of other systems where you’ll have multiple factions fighting and dying or winning.

// I really appreciate what you’re doing by the way Diku, even if not all of your ideas seem the right ones, you have put a lot of work in this, and anything is preferable to the WvW experience we have right now. What is the best solution can still be a topic for debate though!

Also realistically I doubt ArenaNet will ever implement a system elaborated by players, this is much like what happens in real life politics… they will take whatever they can use.//

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Sirendor

I don’t think you saw this…

Proposal in a NutShell…

Click to open & read Spoilers

Please…Reboot the Base Map Mechanic – Transform Servers into Globes

Base Map Mechanic & Globe Concept

Base Map Mechanic

Globe Concept

You see 4 Maps.

Server A – Owns Green BL
Server B – Owns Red BL
Server C – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe A
Server A – Owns Green BL
Server A – Owns Red BL
Server A – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe B
Server B – Owns Green BL
Server B – Owns Red BL
Server B – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe C
Server C – Owns Green BL
Server C – Owns Red BL
Server C – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe D – Z

Players from Globe A

Please…Reboot the Current Population – One Time Free Transfer

Population Reboot & Time Zone/Language Label

Population Reboot

Time Zone/Language Label

WvW is 24/7

It’s interesting to see that mixing, swapping, or reducing the number of Borderland maps used is really possible, but I’m not sure if it’s feasible from a programming standpoint.

Portals & Spawn Points

…Players entering WvW from PvE or PvP start in the Red Corner of Eternal Battle for Home Globe. WvW map Portals grant access to 4 Destinations

…1) Lions Arch
…2) Red corner of Eternal Battle for Home Globe
…3) Green corner of Eternal Battle Map of Any World Globe
…4) Blue corner of Eternal Battle Map of Any World Globe

…Choosing the Green or Blue Portal will now prompt players to pick from a list of All World Globes on Weekly Reset.

…Choosing the Green or Blue Portal will give players a customized list based on their Weekly choices & ANet’s enforced Guesting limit after Weekly Reset.

…Map travel using the (M)ap shortcut key allows simple travel to spawn points within a chosen World Globe.

Note to developers:

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Sirendor

Picked out a few things of interest from the Proposal in a NutShell…

Really appreciate your consideration & feedback,

Thank you,
Diku

…Players entering WvW from PvE or PvP start in the Red Corner of Eternal Battle for Home Globe.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Swagger.1459

The globe idea does nothing but spread players out needlessly and is restrictive… We already have population problems…

This is more of what you need…

Megaserver wvw red vs blue vs green (like eotm).

Wvw objective based gameplay.

Timed PPT matches (like eotm) and rewards for that match based off of rank.

Bimonthly tournament (longer) PPT matches for greater rewards than regular play.

Badges of honor to buy ascended runes and sigils.

“Something of honor” match currency used to buy unique looking wvw legendary armor.

Legendary rune and sigil crafting mastery tracks.

Cool stuff for guilds.

Leaderboards only serve to promote transfers, we don’t need them. Rewards are fine enough.

Enjoy!

Edit- they will throw in all sorts of silly maps, but players will have to live with it at this point while they chase there special ascended and legendary rewards…

Edit 2- the way you format your posts is a bit much. Update the topic if need be and make replies more approachable to read. Address players by quoting them directly. Don’t add in all that additional stuff. Address who you need to address basically please.

I know you put a lot of work into it, but your formatting makes me not want to devote time to deciphering it or trying to put replies into context for proper GROUP discussion.

Good luck!

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Swagger

Please DON’T hijack my Parent Topic.

You are more than welcome to expand your topic in the below topic thread, or come up with your own Topic thread.

My Plea to WvW Community to come up with an Alternative to this Globe Proposal

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Dissolve-Servers-Embrace-Megaserver/first#post5798364

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I’m not sure what you mean. I’m replying to elements in your last post as per normal posting standards, and it’s well within my right to post comments I feel appropriate in this thread. I’m not breaking any forum conduct rules, I’m just commenting directly to your ideas and mentioning what would be better. These are discussion boards after all…

Additionally, I could have just said that I do not believe in your idea and pressed post reply. Instead, I provided you with some appropriate feedback at least.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Swagger

You know what I mean…here are Sub-Topic threads for you to post to.

Please do so…

Current Parent & Sub-Topic Threads being discussed

Parent Topic
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Reboot-the-Base-Map-Mechanic-Population/first#post5710744

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Match-Up-Mechanic/first#post5793419

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Dissolve-Servers-Embrace-Megaserver/first#post5796753

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Redefine-Game-Mode-by-Changing-EotM/first#post5796839

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Guild-vs-Server-Globe-Based/first#post5809254

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Merge-Servers-or-Create-Globes/first#post5822102

a) Players & Guilds
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Time-Zones-and-Language-Options/first#post5762895

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Solo-Roamer/first#post5805337

b) World Globe Rank & Scoring
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Maps-and-Scoring/first#post5762907

c) Feedback & Reward System
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Rewards-Titles/first#post5793396

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-LeaderBoard-Portal/first#post5832478

d) Services

e) Anti-Trolling, Buffs, & Counter-Weights

f) Defense

g) Offense

h) Supply

i) Portals & Spawn Points

j) Events – PvE & WvW

k) Maps

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Desert-Borderlands-Tweaks/first#post5811730

in WvW

Swagger.1459

A sincere question, is this thread, that is three pages long, solely for your comments alone? I’m sorry, but it’s not. You are more than welcome to address my posts with some form of discussion, as is my right, but I can’t be directed out to a different thread when my purpose is to comment on a post you made here.

I do respect your hard work, but a third page relevant comment is hardly hijacking anything. I’m very sorry.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Swagger

Please don’t turn this into a circus.

I’ve seen what you’ve done to other topic threads.

Please don’t. If you want to win this argument…you win.

Yours truly,
Diku

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I do not agree with your over complex idea that segregates the slimming wvw community anymore than it currently is.

By skimming through, you are asking the devs to replace one segregated wvw for another segregated wvw.

Pve is megaserver for reasons.

Spvp is megaserver for reasons.

Eotm is megaserver for reasons.

Wvw should be megaserver for many reasons, not segregated and restricted globe servers.

in WvW

Diku.2546

Sorry it’s over complex.

You have really good ideas.

Let’s work on your idea in the below topic post:

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

I do not agree with your over complex idea that segregates the slimming wvw community anymore than it currently is.

By skimming through, you are asking the devs to replace one segregated wvw for another segregated wvw.

Pve is megaserver for reasons.

Spvp is megaserver for reasons.

Eotm is megaserver for reasons.

Wvw should be megaserver for many reasons, not segregated and restricted globe servers.

I read it as:
“Pve is quaggan for reasons.

Spvp is quaggan for reasons.

Eotm is quaggan for reasons.

Wvw should be quaggan for many reasons."

Nope, I don’t like Pve, sPvP or EotM and don’t want wvw to be anything similar to them.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in WvW

Diku.2546

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Unfortunatly diku’s globe segregation ideas are not the right answer at all. We already see the effect of so much spreading of the population. eotm is a test bed as well, and a successful one at that for participation. “Globes” with weekly restrictions do nothing except exaserbate the current problems with population differences.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Swagger

I think what you’re trying to propose is a Megaserver based solution.

Moving this post to the correct Topic thread to continue your suggestion:

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I’m am making comments related to population stuff and “population” is in your title. You want higher rates of participation, or the illusion of a thriving population, then your ideas do not work. megservers address you desire to fix population issues, not segregated globes and weekly lockouts…

These topics at interrelated and would appreciate you not doing a copy/paste followed by reply that is quoted to a completely different thread.

I respect your hard work, but not being directed to a completely different thread and having quotes possibly taken out of context because you quote them from the original place and just comment on them elsewhere.

(edited by Swagger.1459)