New To Rangers? Looking for guides? CLICK ME!

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

This thread aims to keep all the good posts easily accessible so they can still be read, despite being buried under all the newer threads. That and the search engine for these forums can’t seem to go further than a few weeks. If you made a guide/build thread/video guide that isn’t here, please post it with a short description so I can add it

NOTE: The newest builds/guides are added at the bottom of their respective list, so check those first for most relevant info

General Guides:

Community:

Discussion:

Thread Cleanup: last done on Aug 14, 2013. Old general guides are now placed here

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Videos:

Videos before Aug 21, 2013 patch:

NOTE: The videos listed here were recorded before the June 25 Patch. They may or may not be possible anymore. They are still a good resource of what the ranger class was like before the patch and can be used as a basis for comparison to newer builds.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Pet Specific Guides:

Weapon Specific Guides:

Some Red posts around the forums:

Robert Hrouda on perma-stow:

There have been some calls for perma-stowed pets, and while I have said this in other areas I will say it again here. I don’t think we will let you perma-stow pets – the main reason being we want the player to be interacting with the pet, and the pet to be part of the identity of the player. The role of ranger is to to have a pet in our game, and with that comes a bit of extra micromanagement that comes with the package. Right now the micromanage is difficult and more tools are desired, and I honestly feel that once we make micromanaging pets easier, more responsive, and better in general that players won’t mind that they don’t have perma-stow capabilities.

Robert Hrouda on blanket AoE Reduction:

We tried giving them reduced damage from AOE/attacks, and it opened up other problems – mainly that a team of 2 rangers could take on almost any boss in a dungeon by smart swapping of pets and letting the pet take aggro. It’s unfortunate, but we can’t just increase and decrease numbers until pets are perfect – we’ve tried really hard, but numbers are not going to fix pets without letting them break everything. We have to look deeper into mechanics, AI, player actions, and skills.

Links that don’t work anymore

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

Posted by: Nugget.8031

Nugget.8031

Anyone who wants to try the sword on the Ranger should watch the vids posted here.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/1h-Sword-Autoattack-Explained/first#post856805
It explains all the mechanics of the sword + some tips and tricks. He also has some other vids on pet mechanics and ranger issues, even though some of them have changed since it was posted.

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Anyone who wants to try the sword on the Ranger should watch the vids posted here.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/1h-Sword-Autoattack-Explained/first#post856805
It explains all the mechanics of the sword + some tips and tricks. He also has some other vids on pet mechanics and ranger issues, even though some of them have changed since it was posted.

Oh wow! This is what I meant by really good posts buried under other (QQ) posts. I can’t believe I never saw this before _ Those are VERY detailed videos and should be known by all rangers interested in 1h swords

Thanks for the link! Added it to the list If you find more vids, please post them here! Now if only i could find those weapon DPS tests and comparisons…

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Mods, since you’re already stickying threads, can we sticky this too? Editing topic title so mods can see…

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Still no love from mods Sticky this please!

Added the PEW PEW guide to the list! If anyone can remember the names of the threads about damage calculations, please post them here so I can add them!

EDIT: Added Red Post section quoting some stuff from Robert Hrouda

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Aaaaaaaannnnd still not stickied. Pushed down to page 4. Funny how they seem to charge me infractions but ignore this thread. Guess it’s not worth stickying if a red doesn’t post in it eh?

Anyway, found a link to a very good WvW Build with a very good and informative video. Added https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/WvWvW-BM-Heal-Toughness-Ranger to the list

Attachments:

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

There already is a stickied build thread, and even though I like and appreciate the effort, “Good” Build is a subjective state of mind, that may very well differ between different people, so why do you think this thread is needed instead of in addition to the other one we already have?

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

There already is a stickied build thread, and even though I like and appreciate the effort, “Good” Build is a subjective state of mind, that may very well differ between different people, so why do you think this thread is needed instead of in addition to the other one we already have?

Because that other thread is limited to just builds. That doesn’t include articles and videos. Also, it’s not a “quick links” type of thread. You have to sift through different pages to find one you like. Most people don’t have patience for that.

This was originally “Compilation of Good Builds/Posts/Videos”, but I had to remove some text because I had to put that [STICKY PLS] tag.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

in Ranger

Posted by: Drysdale.3826

Drysdale.3826

What’s the build and gear to go along with the trap build in the wvw video?

in Ranger

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Good build for ranger: any other class, they all do things better than you can and are more use in wvw. That’s coming from someone who has played them all, and still comes back to ranger (yes, I’m a sick man).

All the posted builds are trying to work around the fact that so many things are broken about the class and ANet have no real ideas on how to go about fixing it without making rangers OP in PVE dungeons.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

Good build for ranger: any other class, they all do things better than you can and are more use in wvw. That’s coming from someone who has played them all, and still comes back to ranger (yes, I’m a sick man).

All the posted builds are trying to work around the fact that so many things are broken about the class and ANet have no real ideas on how to go about fixing it without making rangers OP in PVE dungeons.

I don’t get why people don’t focus on the topic being discussed rather than complaining, we all complain and hey even I have plenty of negative things to point out, but that’s not what this thread is about. There are plenty of other people complaining elsewhere so like the dude asked please keep the conversation clean.

What I currently use is a variant of the Phantom Catmaster which focuses on supporting damage for the pet via higher condition damage / better critical chance/ power/ toughness. So I have toughness gear and runes that allow me to spike up condition damage, just in case my pet dies I can fight competitively for as long as possible. I keep a torch on my off hand for constant burning damage. Also note that while cat damage is pretty amazing, you can swap the routine with canines, its especially helpful against enemies who don’t have much protection against stuns.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Because that other thread is limited to just builds. That doesn’t include articles and videos. Also, it’s not a “quick links” type of thread. You have to sift through different pages to find one you like. Most people don’t have patience for that.

This was originally “Compilation of Good Builds/Posts/Videos”, but I had to remove some text because I had to put that [STICKY PLS] tag.

I see. I do however think that a far better solution for the community would be something like http://pvx.wikia.com that was made for GW1. It used to be quite popular back in the day, with the option to vote for different builds.

GW2 isn’t anywhere near the versatility of GW1 when it comes to different builds, but that’s another story…

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree that this should be sticky. Basically everything I was wanting to find in this section is in this topic.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Ranger

Posted by: FoRRe.8149

FoRRe.8149

This needs sticky!!

Also im trying to find a pretty recent GS/SB WvW build that was posted on the forums.
He was very detailed and might have had a vid, not sure tho.

Nvm found it: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Hybrid-BeastMaster-GS-SB-build-guide

It has worked out great for me :-)
Anyone know? ^^

(edited by FoRRe.8149)

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

This needs sticky!!

Also im trying to find a pretty recent GS/SB WvW build that was posted on the forums.
He was very detailed and might have had a vid, not sure tho.

Nvm found it: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Hybrid-BeastMaster-GS-SB-build-guide

It has worked out great for me :-)
Anyone know? ^^

Ohhh, I remember this From the turkish guy, right? I’ll add this in

EDIT kitten It’s not XD This was the one that came out after the Ride The Lightning nerf

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Why would they sticky this….they already have a build sticky.

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Why would they sticky this….they already have a build sticky.

sigh

I already posted above why. Please read posts before you parrot someone else’s.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Added to the list: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-GS-vs-Warrior-GS-direct-comparison

A good empirical analysis of the GS on both rangers and warriors.

Also added: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Shoot-to-maim-boys/

An unorthodox longbow condition/support build

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Added: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/600-hp-sec-passive-regen

Condition damage/Regen based WvW build.

EDIT: I’m trying to edit first post, but it wont register for some reason

EDIT2: Moved builds into the third post. Looks like I hit the max char cap for the first one.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

+1 for this thread. I support it through and through.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

Thanks for putting all this together, Jubskie.

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

This post discusses how to maximize bag looting in WvW when fighting an enemy army or “when in the zerg”. This is important for world rank, badges, and heavy loot bags. Heavy loot bags are an important part of the supply of crystalline dust and other fine crafting materials. When you get them, open them for mats or just sell them for repair costs or profit.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/WvW-enemy-tagging-as-ranger/first#post1759438

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

This post discusses how to maximize bag looting in WvW when fighting an enemy army or “when in the zerg”. This is important for world rank, badges, and heavy loot bags. Heavy loot bags are an important part of the supply of crystalline dust and other fine crafting materials. When you get them, open them for mats or just sell them for repair costs or profit.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/WvW-enemy-tagging-as-ranger/first#post1759438

Added to first post, under “Discussion”

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I made a pet dps guide a while back that compared numbers from tests I did on the mists. I haven’t touched it since the last patch, but I don’t think there has been anything that really changed for the data within:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-Pet-DPS-Comparison/first#post1539162

Also, for what it’s worth, I agree that this should be stickied.

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

I made a pet dps guide a while back that compared numbers from tests I did on the mists. I haven’t touched it since the last patch, but I don’t think there has been anything that really changed for the data within:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-Pet-DPS-Comparison/first#post1539162

Also, for what it’s worth, I agree that this should be stickied.

This is what I was looking for! (I mentioned it on a post above :P) Thanks for posting it here I added it to the first post

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Geshque.1326

Geshque.1326

Does mod make something else except deleting unfaithful posts and topics? How long a topic like this must be on the first page for you to understand that the ranger community wants it to be sticked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

Add one more polite request for moderation to make this a sticky please. This thread is great for finding everything in one place.

Thank you jubskie on behalf of the Ranger community for the time you have put into this. We appreciate you going through threads and putting things all in one place. If we have to keep bumping it, we will.. great thread.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Added https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Beastmastery-Math Beastmastery Math – Very detailed information on how much points in BM helps the rangers pet.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Luimes.4281

Luimes.4281

GJ EXG. Time for a naked zerg!

what is meme

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

GJ EXG. Time for a naked zerg!

LOL! I can’t believe that stuck XD Join us while we frolick in our undies! :P

On Topic:
I added https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Nature-s-Wrath-Ranger-burst-vid

This is the build (taken from the vid, it’s not on the forum post) http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQJARTjEVB2JWGWs2Bi1j9QoBxecIDtIXB/fxTJNB;ToAg0CnoqxUjoGbNuak1sEZIC
(copy-paste the link, it’s a bad link if you click on it here)

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Wow this got buried again.. anyone found any good posts/threads/videos they want to add here?

On a side note, I’ve been testing Sharpened Edges in the mists. It has no cooldown at all, so that somewhat offsets the 1 second duration that it has.

EDIT: Adding https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Tooltips-Clarifications-Fixes/ to the list

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

Posted by: Hadrians.4567

Hadrians.4567

First ! Great Job !!! ( I have learnd much from this Thread )

I am an GC Ranger and i mostly play WvW ( since Beta ) and if u want Maximum Burst and Kill People in 2-3 Hits ( Ever Hit an Thief for 11k with GS, i do ^^)

This ist my GS/LB Absolute Burst Build

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/ranger/?6.4|1.1g.h14|3.1g.h17|1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.cg.67|u14b.u1ac.0.a5.0|69.1|4i.4q.4r.4p.55|e

I start with LB ( 3 ) Swap to GS Swoop/Maul ( both can crit up to 10-11k )

I use Wolfes ( Knockdown )

In my View, Rune of the Scholar are the best Runes ( 10% more Dmg and more Power ! yes plz!! )

@ Jubski Try it and u will maybe love it ^^ ( ur maximum GS Hits are 8k in ur Vid right? )

(edited by Hadrians.4567)

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

BM Hybrid build.

Wanted to add the build I currently use: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/BM-HYBRID-A-new-viable-build/first#post1782763

Have fun!

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Added these threads:

Data: Companion’s Defense and +Boon Duration - Tables about the uptime of Protection on Dodge Trait with Vigor and Boon Duration.

Data: Crossfire vs Rapid Fire - Mathematical analysis of the shortbow and longbow skills.

Data: Ranger Boons - The duration of ranger boons with varying degrees of boon duration

[BM HYBRID] A new viable build. - a 0/10/30/15/15 sPvP build.

Also reformatted and reordered a bit to make it easier to read

Might as well hang up our jocks straps because this ain’t getting stickied folks.

I kind of picked up on that when Robert’s thread was stickied 3 weeks ago. Yeah I’m annoyed this is being ignored, but this thread is still worth updating and keeping alive regardless. As long as this section is coming up with quality content, i’ll keep updating! It’s just up to the community to bump this thread everyone once in a while

First ! Great Job !!! ( I have learnd much from this Thread )

I am an GC Ranger and i mostly play WvW ( since Beta ) and if u want Maximum Burst and Kill People in 2-3 Hits ( Ever Hit an Thief for 11k with GS, i do ^^)

This ist my GS/LB Absolute Burst Build

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/ranger/?6.4|1.1g.h14|3.1g.h17|1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e.1g.7e|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.cg.67|u14b.u1ac.0.a5.0|69.1|4i.4q.4r.4p.55|e

I start with LB ( 3 ) Swap to GS Swoop/Maul ( both can crit up to 10-11k )

I use Wolfes ( Knockdown )

In my View, Rune of the Scholar are the best Runes ( 10% more Dmg and more Power ! yes plz!! )

@ Jubski Try it and u will maybe love it ^^ ( ur maximum GS Hits are 8k in ur Vid right? )

That wasn’t my vid, I’m just putting them all in one thread Also, I’m not really one for GC builds, I hate dying :P

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-Skills-and-Traits-Clarifications-Fixes/page/2#post1813627

Above is a very recent new post that just came up regarding ranger tool tips, what they exactly do for you and your pet, as well as where they are wrong. Since ranger gets very little love from developers we might be dealing with this for a while. However, there is much to learn from it and I am sure everyone can benefit from the knowledge. Perhaps we can improve our builds centered on these facts and come up with an even stronger ranger.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: AlexRD.7914

AlexRD.7914

I hope this thread gets stickied. I also hope that you add a voting system, so that we the people may approve or not of the build. Otherwise this will become another post your build thread.

in Ranger

Posted by: paperclip.1089

paperclip.1089

I really like it when this is on the front page. Sticky please.

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-Skills-and-Traits-Clarifications-Fixes/page/2#post1813627

Above is a very recent new post that just came up regarding ranger tool tips, what they exactly do for you and your pet, as well as where they are wrong. Since ranger gets very little love from developers we might be dealing with this for a while. However, there is much to learn from it and I am sure everyone can benefit from the knowledge. Perhaps we can improve our builds centered on these facts and come up with an even stronger ranger.

This is actually already in there It’s listed as a different name, though. I’ll update the link and the thread title

I hope this thread gets stickied. I also hope that you add a voting system, so that we the people may approve or not of the build. Otherwise this will become another post your build thread.

I hope not _ This thread isn’t about posting your builds in this thread, it’s about posting a well thought out and well written build thread and then get it linked here.

I really like it when this is on the front page. Sticky please.

Like I said in the post above, it’s up to the community to keep this thread alive now. We’re not gonna get love from the mods :p (but I’d love to be proven wrong wink wink)

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Added:

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Arkelia.2198

Arkelia.2198

I have to aggre for a sticky.

Thanks for this tread !

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

I have to aggre for a sticky.

Thanks for this tread !

Thanks! Kinda a lost cause atm, though. I’m still hoping this can get stickied… puppy eyes to mods

Aaanyway, added these threads to the list

EDIT: If you found a good link in this thread and notice that it’s sinking into page 2, please do post your appreciation and bump this thread It’s up to the community to keep this thread afloat!

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)

in Ranger

Posted by: lurel.6250

lurel.6250

Great thread, sticky this please!

in Ranger

Posted by: Ofek.1743

Ofek.1743

nice thread man

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

nice thread man

Thanks! If you find any thread that you think should be listed here, please post them

EDIT: I’ve given up on getting this stickied. I changed the title to make it the thread more interesting to new players. (Changed from [STICKY PLS]Compilation of Good Builds/Posts to New To Rangers? Looking for guides? CLICK ME!)

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

(edited by jubskie.3152)