The “Play How I Want” concept of the originally developed and advertised game (disregarding the origin of the quote) is steadily fading away with every patch:
It’s extremely important that we stay true to our philosophy that you should be able to play Guild Wars 2 the way you want to play the game in order to reach the most powerful rewards. — from Colin Johanson on Guild Wars 2 in the Months Ahead, January 2013
Of course it’s not only about “most powerful rewards” (even if enjoyment is the best reward you can get from a game), but about the overall feeling of freedom the game had – which definitely existed and which is the reason “Play How I Want” quote became so popular and went far beyond the meaning of “get BiS gear anywhere” in the community.
How did it happen?
- Open an online timer for your server, group with like-minded players and do events that you want when you want. Feel yourself as a hero who willingly saves Tyria from daily threats! Feel how the world is living and changing because of you, coordinate with people and announce the next boss you gonna beat!
- Beat a world boss with some 3-5 people next to you at low hours, and feel great because it was challenging and fun! Or do not beat it and understand that your efforts were not enough and you should get better.
- After the Megaservers improvement, put a list of times for world bosses next to your PC and stop doing whatever you were doing offline to join the boss you want to play. Feel like you’re doing a scheduled task at your job in the office.
- Always be accompanied by a megazerg, tag and spam “111” to win. No need to know the encounter, you won’t see anything because of particle effects and lags.
- Choose a server you like, be it a Spanish server or an unofficial RP server, speak the language of your choice and get to know “your” people.
- See the same people, get acquainted and say “hi” on your favourite journeys.
- Build a WvW community, recruit and ask for help!
- After the Megaservers improvement, get placed with random people who speak different languages and can’t care less about you and your interests.
- Meet random people you’ve never seen before and never will.
- Forget about talking about WvW in map chat.
- Start leveling and get new stuff to make your build better (with 3 tiny payments) straight away. Do what you want and enjoy the aspects of the game you like! It doesn’t matter if it’s your 1st or 64th character, you simply play!
- After the Trait improvement, grind all over the world (including WvW) with each and every character doing the same stuff over and over again. Or pay tons of money with gold and skillpoints (which you have to collect and which have gold value) to unlock it for each and every character.
- Start leveling and unlock new skills gradually and rapidly. Receive skillpoints to unlock skills here and now.
- Do content depending on your skill, and not your level. 10th character? Will feel like a breeze!
- Equip weapons and kill stuff to unlock all 5 weapon skills straight away. Love GS5 skill? Unlock it and use it now!
- After the NPE improvement, start leveling and grind with “1111211112” to the level where you can unlock the skills. Wait for levels to get some skillpoints.
- Do content depending on your level, and not earlier. 10th character? Your problem.
- Play PS when you want and how you want. Experienced? Jump above the level requirement and beat it because you can!
- After the NPE improvement, play PS in chunks when they know for sure you can beat it and won’t uninstall the game from the frustration of understanding that you’re not skilled enough. Experienced and want challenge? Your problem, grind and wait.
- Walk around the world and feel like a free hero. Do what you want when you want.
- After the NPE improvement, follow the arrows (and press [F] to win). No need to make decisions.
(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)